• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the current Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Issue Plesk docker image doesn't work

Craetive

New Pleskian
Hi,

I can't find any topics about this, which is why I'm creating one. It seems that the recently deployed plesk/plesk:latest image on the Docker hub doesn't work. The docker container crashes with error code 255 without further logs. I have tested this on multiple devices now (Windows 10, Apple M1 Macbook). The test image plesk/plesk:tests (from 9 months ago) does works, but it does not have the latest updates. This makes testing difficult.

Am I doing something wrong or do more people have this problem?

Hi,

plesk/plesk:latest checked on Ubuntu 20.04 and Windows 10 19043, image works as expected.
Please try to get more details by `docker logs` invoked for the container you've created.

Please make sure you're using the correct and full docker run command from the image description.
Don't use plesk/plesk:tests — it is obsolete and is not maintained anymore.

Thanks for your replies, but sadly it didn't work out. I can't get any info from docker logs because the container crashed instantly. I copied the exact command from the page, but with no luck. I would rather not use the plesk/plesk:tests image either, but this is the only image that does work on my machine. See the results below.

Code:
$ docker images
REPOSITORY    TAG       IMAGE ID       CREATED        SIZE
plesk/plesk   latest    a52e010fd0d8   3 weeks ago    1.72GB
plesk/plesk   tests     3dab7964cfe2   8 months ago   1.52GB

Code:
$ docker run -d --tmpfs /tmp --tmpfs /run --tmpfs /run/lock -v /sys/fs/cgroup:/sys/fs/cgroup:ro -p 8880:8880 plesk/plesk
1d7bc4dfc268b62722b1935ae0419afbe51da0007b7799478d53e9a232f5b6e5

Code:
$ docker container ls -all
CONTAINER ID   IMAGE         COMMAND        CREATED          STATUS                        PORTS     NAMES
1d7bc4dfc268   plesk/plesk   "/sbin/init"   22 seconds ago   Exited (255) 21 seconds ago             eloquent_goldberg

Code:
$ docker logs 1d7bc4dfc268
# No output..

Now with the test image:

Code:
$ docker run -d --tmpfs /tmp --tmpfs /run --tmpfs /run/lock -v /sys/fs/cgroup:/sys/fs/cgroup:ro -p 8880:8880 plesk/plesk:tests
d389b89e8a14b2a2ede27cc2ccb88c84510dac38fe8f9ebc30c420b00ac579d4

Code:
$ docker container ls -all
CONTAINER ID   IMAGE               COMMAND     CREATED          STATUS          PORTS                                                 NAMES
d389b89e8a14   plesk/plesk:tests   "/run.sh"   26 seconds ago   Up 24 seconds   8443/tcp, 0.0.0.0:8880->8880/tcp, :::8880->8880/tcp   unruffled_burnell

Code:
$ docker logs d389b89e8a14
 * Starting MariaDB database server mysqld
   ...done.
Database: [<172.17.0.2>]
Actual: [<172.17.0.2>]
[..]

Some system info:

Code:
$ docker info
Client:
 Context:    default
 Debug Mode: false
 Plugins:
  buildx: Build with BuildKit (Docker Inc., v0.6.1-docker)
  compose: Docker Compose (Docker Inc., v2.0.0-rc.3)
  scan: Docker Scan (Docker Inc., v0.8.0)
WARNING: Plugin "/usr/libexec/docker/cli-plugins/docker-app" is not valid: failed to fetch metadata: fork/exec /usr/libexec/docker/cli-plugins/docker-app: no such file or directory

Server:
 Containers: 1
  Running: 0
  Paused: 0
  Stopped: 1
 Server Version: 20.10.8
 Storage Driver: overlay2
  Backing Filesystem: extfs
  Supports d_type: true
  Native Overlay Diff: true
  userxattr: false
 Logging Driver: json-file
 Cgroup Driver: cgroupfs
 Cgroup Version: 1
 Plugins:
  Volume: local
  Network: bridge host ipvlan macvlan null overlay
  Log: awslogs fluentd gcplogs gelf journald json-file local logentries splunk syslog
 Swarm: inactive
 Runtimes: io.containerd.runc.v2 io.containerd.runtime.v1.linux runc
 Default Runtime: runc
 Init Binary: docker-init
 containerd version: e25210fe30a0a703442421b0f60afac609f950a3
 runc version: v1.0.1-0-g4144b63
 init version: de40ad0
 Security Options:
  seccomp
   Profile: default
 Kernel Version: 5.4.72-microsoft-standard-WSL2
 Operating System: Docker Desktop
 OSType: linux
 Architecture: x86_64
 CPUs: 16
 Total Memory: 25GiB
 Name: docker-desktop
 ID: C5PU:4VT7:ONAF:LUGD:RPMV:VCMP:IPWQ:WLAA:PPBM:PVPN:UGDS:SPIQ
 Docker Root Dir: /var/lib/docker
 Debug Mode: false
 Registry: https://index.docker.io/v1/
 Labels:
 Experimental: false
 Insecure Registries:
  127.0.0.0/8
 Live Restore Enabled: false

WARNING: No blkio throttle.read_bps_device support
WARNING: No blkio throttle.write_bps_device support
WARNING: No blkio throttle.read_iops_device support
WARNING: No blkio throttle.write_iops_device support

Code:
> systeminfo
OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
OS Version:                10.0.19042 N/A Build 19042

If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Well, I assume there's no cgroups tree mounted at /sys/fs/cgroup (see mount | grep cgroup) on Windows. That's most likely the issue in your case. The image will not work without it.

It's not available on Windows, but it is on WSL (Linux container running on Ubuntu 20.04):
Code:
$ mount | grep cgroup
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=755)

Technically I'm running Docker from the host (Windows) though, so you may be right. I tried mounting the /sys/fs/cgroup folder to both a valid location within the host (Windows) and WSL (Ubuntu), but same results unfortunately.
Code:
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
Release:        20.04
Codename:       focal

$ uname -r
5.4.72-microsoft-standard-WSL2

Craetive: Were you able to figure out a solution? I'm having the same problem using Docker Destop on MacOS X. It crashes instantly with no log output.

Craetive: Were you able to figure out a solution? I'm having the same problem using Docker Destop on MacOS X. It crashes instantly with no log output.
Sorry for the late reply, but no unfortunately I was never able to fix this problem. Lack of logs makes troubleshooting very difficult.

Same issue here but my hosting operating system is Manjaro Linux. Any chance to get it working?

I've run into the same issue, I was able to make some progress but aint quite there yet.

Running the following in my WSL instance:

docker run -it --tmpfs /tmp --tmpfs /run --tmpfs /run/lock -v /sys/fs/cgroup:/sys/fs/cgroup:ro -P plesk/plesk

Results into:

Failed to create /init.scope control group: Read-only file system
Failed to allocate manager object: Read-only file system

To get to this point (and past the original "/sys/fs/cgroup" error), I changed the following to my WSL setup.
In windows i've added the following lines to "%UserProfile%\.wslconfig"

[wsl2]
kernelCommandLine = cgroup_no_v1=all

And ran the following command in my ubuntu instance in wsl

sudo mount --move /sys/fs/cgroup/unified /sys/fs/cgroup

As suggested by How to enable cgroup v2 in WSL2?

The issue now seems that docker is still unable to write to '/sys/fs/cgroup' even when run in privileged mode.

Back