• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk firewall custom rule Allow incoming from all on all ports

Cameron

New Pleskian
Hi, I have a Dedicated Server where the first Firewall rule is called allowme. It is a custom rule which seems to allow access to any TCP or UDP port and any IP address. I didn't set this rule up, it was (I assume) added by my ISP when I purchased the server. Is this bad practice and should I delete this rule?

I don't want to allow anyone except me to be able to upload anything via FTP and I obviously don't want any website on the server to no longer be viewable. If I set the SSH and FTP rules to only allow access to my IP address this has no effect. Is that because the first rule overrules everything else?

Is there a best practice for setting all the various firewall rules?

Thanks

Thanks for this. Unfortunately since deleting this rule I can no longer connect to any of my websites with FTP, even if I add my IP address as the only one that can connect in the FTP firewall rule. I added my IP to the SSH rule and that is absolutely fine and I can connect as root no problem, but no FTP.

Any idea what has happened?

Yes it's a timeout.

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command: CWD /httpdocs
Response: 250 CWD command successful
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/httpdocs" is the current directory
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Type set to I
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (xxx,xx,xx,xxx,161,116).
Command: MLSD
Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

I'm using FileZilla.

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (xxx,xx,xx,xxx,161,116).

The FTP-passive mode uses a address range to communicate with the client.
To communicate with the server in passive mode, the client "asks" the server for a port (after being connectet via port 21), on which it can connect to the server to do some data-stuff. The client then tries to connect over the negotiatet port. And there your log is going to show the problems. these address-range must be opened in the firewall.
You can find the config-file in /etc/proftpd.d/passive-ports.conf - the content should look like this:

Code:
<Global>
PassivePorts 49152 65535
</Global>

Thanks for the response. There is no file of that name in that directory. There is only 50-plesk.conf and ssl.conf in there. Do I need to create this file and specify the port range?

Yes, try to create the file 55-passive-ports.conf with the content from the post above in /etc/proftpd.d/
Also ensure that you can find the line
Code:
Include /etc/proftpd.d/*.conf
in your /etc/proftpd.conf

dont forget to open the ports in the firewall you used in the ports.conf

then restart the ftp
usually the ftp is in inetd-mode. so-> service xinetd restart

Thank you, this is perfect. So I needed to create the conf file with the command line, then do the service restart, then in plesk I added a custom firewall rule with this port range, and specify that it can only connect from my IP address. This now works.

If I also set the firewall rule below this one to deny SSH connections except from my IP, is this about as secure as I can make it? Or could someone potentially fake my IP address and still get in?

If I also set the firewall rule below this one to deny SSH connections except from my IP, is this about as secure as I can make it? Or could someone potentially fake my IP address and still get in?
possible is everything ;)
but, security is not only about good firewall rules. The rules you are using are very strict and do for sure a good job. But you should think about service security as well. What I mean, take care how you configure a service, use long and secure passwords in combination with long usernames, i.e. dont use "admin" better use "this_is08my489long319and918not3to38guess10admin_user". Ensure that your software is always up to date, use IP-Address blacklisting like fail2ban, to improve your firewall you could proceed with spi or dpi etc. etc. etc.

Don't get paranoid ;-)

Back