• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk FTP uppercase user ?

mehdi.houssam

New Pleskian
Hello

Trying to create a plesk ftp user that matches a Cpanel one.
of course it won't do by the web interface so used this .

root@testdomain:~# /opt/psa/bin/ftpsubaccount --create [email protected] -domain testdomain.info -passwd userpass -home /httpdocs

Wrong syntax for command's '-create' parameter. '[email protected]' does not match the pattern '/^\w[\-\w\.]{0,16}$/'.

is there anyway to allow uppercase and _ and @ in usernames Cpanel Style ?

Thank you

is there anyway to allow uppercase and _ and @ in usernames Cpanel Style ?
No way. According to Plesk security policy, you can use only lowercase alphanumeric, dash, and underscore symbols in the ftp username.

I think that's appalling if that is the case. A system administrator should have complete control over username complexity and passwords. Not have this enforced by the panel. Especially considering that cpanel appends @domain.xyz to every FTP account, this means for anyone migrating from cpanel it's impossible to preserve existing FTP login user names.

Having the panel enforce it's own complexity on user login to the panel is fine. But to a service such as FTP is not. It means anyone migrating to Plesk from Cpanel that is using a third party that currently uploads data via FTP they have to contact the third party and have them update FTP login credentials.

Last edited:
@Peter Debik wow that's great stuff, thank you. I searched for about 20 minutes and couldn't find anything relevant. Thanks for flagging that I've bookmarked it. I ended up getting in touch with the third party and luckily system admin was available to make the change there end so changed the login information there side. But it's a lesson learned for future. I could imagine that being quite a common sticking point for anyone migrating from CPanel to Plesk with existing FTP accounts in place.

Thanks again for the time to post the link to reported solution :)

Back