• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk installation is currently taking place (stuck)

Sep B.

New Pleskian
Hi everyone,

I recently added a new dedicated server to my roster of servers and I stumbled upon a small issue that I don't know how to fix.
The server has a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 and Plesk on it. From the frontend, Plesk seems to work fine and no issues there, but when I connect to the server over SSH, I get the following message:
The Plesk installation is currently taking place.
Please be patient and do not reboot the server.

To monitor the installation process please run:
tail -f /var/log/plesk/install/autoinstaller3.log

I have a few other servers with Plesk on them but never seen this message before. I presume its something that Plesk adds automatically or it's just an extra change made by the hosting company for this particular server. Anyways, that is not the issue. My issue is that this server is about 2 weeks old now as I have been testing some things on it and I keep getting this message since the server was first started.

I looked through the logs and from what I can gather, is that the installation of Plesk did finish at the time of setting up the server, but some part of this installation is restarting every day at about 6AM.

If I run the command mentioned in the message, I always see the following lines:

[2021-02-23 06:25:14.570472] Component plesk/domain-connect: mode up2date, installed_buildtime=0, available_buildtime=0
[2021-02-23 06:25:14.570547] Component plesk/xovi: mode up2date, installed_buildtime=0, available_buildtime=0
[2021-02-23 06:25:14.570622] Component plesk/imunifyav: mode up2date, installed_buildtime=0, available_buildtime=0
[2021-02-23 06:25:14.570712] Component plesk/sslit: mode up2date, installed_buildtime=0, available_buildtime=0
[2021-02-23 06:25:14.570789] Component plesk/repair-kit: mode up2date, installed_buildtime=0, available_buildtime=0
[2021-02-23 06:25:14.570870] Component plesk/composer: mode up2date, installed_buildtime=0, available_buildtime=0
[2021-02-23 06:25:14.570946] Component plesk/monitoring: mode up2date, installed_buildtime=0, available_buildtime=0

If I look at the last lines of previous days, all of them look like this:
[2021-02-22 06:25:11.223514] Component plesk/composer: mode up2date, installed_buildtime=0, available_buildtime=0
[2021-02-22 06:25:11.223584] Component plesk/monitoring: mode up2date, installed_buildtime=0, available_buildtime=0
[2021-02-23 06:25:01.659642] Environment locale name is 'en_US.UTF-8'
[2021-02-23 06:25:01.660297]

And each new day starts with this:
Plesk Installer 3.33.0 (revision a56322f07a62) started at (timezone GMT) Tue Feb 23 06:25:01 2021
Command line arguments: /opt/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --show-components --enable-xml-output

I checked all the crons that may start this but the only one that I found that is close to this time is this one:
25 6 * * * /opt/psa/admin/bin/php -dauto_prepend_file=sdk.php '/opt/psa/admin/plib/modules/email-security/scripts/sa-train-bayes.php'

Could someone point me in the direction where I could sort this issue out so that this message doesn't show up?
I checked all my other servers that have Plesk and none of them have this issue where the installation resets every day.

Hi Sep B.
It doesn't look as a part of Plesk, it's rather a forgotten part of cloning.
You need to check `.bash_profile`, `.bash_login`, and `.profile` files into homedir of the root user and try to find this banner there.
You also may found it in `/etc/ssh/ssh_config` or `/etc/motd` configs.

Every day the `plesk daily` task is executed. This task asks autoinstaller to show all components to detect whether any update are available. So installation doesn't actually reset every day.

Hi syazov

Thanks for the tip. In my trip of solving this, I totally forgot to check the MOTD. I manage to find the reason for this and it was because that message was added to the MOTD manually from the looks of it. I checked all other Plesk MOTD banner files and there is no mention of such notification. The message was only in the main MOTD file.

Hi at all,
I've exactly the same problem after successful migration from my old Ionos Ubuntu 18.04 with Plesk Obsidian to the new Ionos Ubuntu 20.04 Obsidian server. I 've mentioned Ionos for the reason that perhaps it could be a hint to the root cause of this problem. It's only guessing, but I think @Sep B. could have the same technical environment or provider.
Since the first reboot and login in terminal/SSH I get the same 4 sentences (The Plesk installation is currently taking place....)
Every single point in the text he mentioned, it's the same like in my case. Every day at 6.25 a.m., when also updates by Plesk will be automatically installed, Plesk starts reinstallation of itself (Plesk).

@Sep B. or someone else, could you PLEASE explain me in a little more details what you did with MOTD (message of the day) to solve the problem.
I'm honestly not so familiar with motd, in 15 years Plesk there was never ever a reason to look into it.
In file /etc/motd there are exactly the 4 sentences. But how to solve the whole problem? What is wrong? Is something wrong?

Greets

Hi @Servus

Indeed, you are correct that I use Ionos Dedicated with Plesk for this particular server. I was in contact with their support to check if they knew anything more but they were not much of help as they could not reproduce it on their end.

Based on @syazov reply, I did a cross-check between all my servers and the Ionos server was the only one showing this message. I also checked all potential places where Plesk may edit the MOTD banner but I could not find any location where that particular message was used.

The only place I found that text was in the MOTD file (/etc/motd). I remove the text from there and that msg is not displayed anymore. My suspicion here is that was added manually by their imaging team or is something left from Plesk's installation process that did not get removed at the end.

In either case, just remove the text and everything is fine. I know it's a bit misleading and I did report to their support to look into it.

As for the "reinstall", I had the exact same thinking, but looking more into it (maybe I am wrong here), but that autoinstall is Plesk's way of doing an update of all its systems. I checked my other Plesk servers and all of them had the same files and they were kicking at the same time, 6:25 AM.

Wonderful! Thank you so much @Sep B.. I've only one dedicated server by Ionos, since end of 2006, every 4-5 years another one.
But this time the first dedicated server with or over Cloud Panel which I hate a lil.
Interesting is: I had to reinitalize the server after two days, migration worked pretty nice, but, then the message appeared in the 2nd run/try.

I want to ask you about another problem with two additional IPv4 and network. In 5 minutes I will be finishes. I think this is only interesting for Plesk on Ionos customers.

Back