• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk is stopping me at every turn

jayplesk2015

Basic Pleskian
I think I can see why this software is behind Cpanel when it comes to web installs, it is a nightmare to work with or find anything useful. Tbh My new server host said this would save time in setting up the server, that was 5 HOURS ago.

We moved from a shared host that was horrible to this new dedicated server. All of our wordpress sites were backed up on the linux server and we were told with plesk we create a "webspace" and place the import script as well as the backup file in the directory, that was a complete lie and the errors started to flow.

I have attempted to do a manual import via mysql but it is giving me coolation errors, I even attempted to do a mysql upgrade and plesk says thats not possible

I SIMPLY WANT to install the sites migrated over, not trying to build the eiffel tower here folks

Should I just hand the server back to my host and say the hassle is not worth it

can someone help?

Hi Jay,

Sorry to hear about your troubles - let's see how we can help you out. Do I understand you correctly that your main issue is migrating WordPress websites hosted elsewhere to a new dedicated server with Plesk? Are there any other outstanding issues caused by Plesk that bother you?

Hey there :)

Sorry to hear that your first experience with Plesk has been a negative one. Let's see what the issue might be here, shall we ;)

Granted, we know very little about the situation in terms of technical data, but a quick google search for "mysql import database collation issue wordpress" led me to this topic:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/unknown-collation-utf8mb4_unicode_ci

In a nutshell, the root cause of the issue being discussed in the topic is that MySQL databases created on a MySQL 5.6 server have compatibility issues when imported to a server running an earlier version of MySQL. My presumption would be that you are running Plesk 12.0, which indeed comes with MySQL 5.1. If I am correct, I see two possible solution to this problem:
  • Try the fix one of the users in the aforementioned thread came up with, namely:
--8<--
So, I was able to get this to work by doing the following in PHPMyAdmin:

1) Click the "Export" tab for the database
2) Click the "Custom" radio button
3) Go the section titled "Format-specific options" and change the dropdown for "Database system or older MySQL server to maximize output compatibility with:" from NONE to MYSQL40.
4) Scroll to the bottom and click "GO".

This worked for me and I was able to import that database to a server running MySQL 5.1.
-->8--
  • Or, better yet, update to the latest Plesk release, 12.5. Your license should be good to go (i.e. the upgrade will not cost you a cent), and 12.5 comes with support for MySQL 5.6! To update, log in to Plesk and go to Tools&Settings > Updates and Upgrades. Once the upgrade is complete, visit the updater once again and open the Add/Remove Components tab to select the MySQL 5.6 version.
Try these solutions and let us know how it goes :)

Back