• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the current Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Question PLESK license server without ipv6

hschramm

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 12
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hi folks,

i have an ipv6 only vps. It is not possible to register the activation code, because the plesk license server is ipv4 only. Is there a plan when this will be fixed?

Kind regards

Hi, there are currently no immediate plans to add IPv6 support to our license platform.

But I could you tell me a bit more about your IPv6 vps? I have never heard of a virtual servers which only use IPv6. Sounds interesting. Where did you get that? And what's the reason you want to use only IPv6? Do you have a use case for that?

Hi,

At Hetzner you can purchase cloud instances that have IP4 and IP6 addresses. However, the IP4 addresses are subject to a charge, while the IP6 addresses are free of charge. The IP4 address space has long been exhausted and IP4 addresses are now traded via IP brokers. This pushes providers who rely on IP4 addresses further into a corner, with the result that these costs are passed on. However, there are price-conscious customers who want to save themselves the IP4 address and therefore use an IP6 only vServer. These customers are then currently not able to use PLESK.

Therefore, the question would also be: What are the reasons for not including an IP6 address on the licence platform?

Kind regards

At Hetzner you can purchase cloud instances that have IP4 and IP6 addresses. However, the IP4 addresses are subject to a charge, while the IP6 addresses are free of charge. The IP4 address space has long been exhausted and IP4 addresses are now traded via IP brokers. This pushes providers who rely on IP4 addresses further into a corner, with the result that these costs are passed on. However, there are price-conscious customers who want to save themselves the IP4 address and therefore use an IP6 only vServer. These customers are then currently not able to use PLESK.
I see, that interesting to know. Thank you for sharing.

Therefore, the question would also be: What are the reasons for not including an IP6 address on the licence platform?
It's actually on our wish list too. However updating our license platform to support IPv6 would requires considerable resources. Those aren't unlimited unfortunately, which means we have to make (tough) choices on where we spent those on. So it's not that we don't want to. And user feedback like this helps to gauge demand. But on short to medium term we have no plans to add IPv6 support.

There is an UserVoice request for IPv6 license support too. Maybe you can give it your vote as well?

Back