• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Plesk Obsidian Update Clarification

pleskpanel

Regular Pleskian
With Plesk Obsidian, should automatic updates be expected for larger version upgrades such as 18.0.28 Update #3 to 18.0.29 or do larger version jumps need to be manually initiated?

If it is expected to be automatic, which of these little fellas would be responsible for enabling that functionality as we're not seeing automatic updates from the latest 18.0.28 #3 to 18.0.29 release:

Plesk - Update.JPG

Hi,
In this configuration, the update will occur automatically, perhaps you should wait a little, as there is a queue for automatic updates :)

Hi,
In this configuration, the update will occur automatically, perhaps you should wait a little, as there is a queue for automatic updates :)

Thank you -

To clarify, is there a delay or a throttled delivery of when the major updates are actually applied? All of our server panels show the 18.0.29 release as ready to install but none of attempted to actually install it automatically.

Capture.JPG

The 18.0.29 update is still reported by Plesk but without manually initiating it, when will it kick off automatically?

this can take several weeks. with some servers the update never comes automatically and you should do it by hand to see if there are any messages that prevent the automatic update.

As far as I have seen, all the Microupdates, that's the #n behind the version, get installed automatically, but the version updates do not get an automatic installation. For example from 18.0.28 to 18.0.29 there is no automatic installation. It makes some sense, because for example in this update, all webserver configuration files will be reconfigured.

As far as I have seen, all the Microupdates, that's the #n behind the version, get installed automatically, but the version updates do not get an automatic installation. For example from 18.0.28 to 18.0.29 there is no automatic installation. It makes some sense, because for example in this update, all webserver configuration files will be reconfigured.

Peter, thank you for sharing that as it confirms our conclusion as well!

We were seeing the same behavior (micro-updates installed automatically but "number jumps" from 28 to 29 are manual) but as the new semi-major versioning system is still relatively new, there isn't much official documentation to support that theory.

in the past, these updates ran automatically at some point. unless there are messages during the update that prevent this.
As I said, it can only take weeks until the updates are made automatically.
I can't say whether something has been changed here regarding 18.0.29.

in the past, these updates ran automatically at some point. unless there are messages during the update that prevent this.
As I said, it can only take weeks until the updates are made automatically.
I can't say whether something has been changed here regarding 18.0.29.

I haven't seen automatic updates for major version upgrades yet so I suspect that it must have been initiated for you if you didn't kick it off unless Plesk has an undocumented forced major version upgrade system in place (in lieu of the old "late adopter" feature that is dearly missed).

EDIT: Perhaps I'm off here but I saw a few reports of automatic upgrades to 18.0.29 so maybe we just aren't giving it enough time. It sure would be helpful to know what that automatic timeline looks like.

Last edited:
16 days after the 18.0.29 appeared, the first servers receive the automatic update but the panel.ini values

[updates]
updateDays = friday,saturday
timeFrameStart = 01
timeFrameEnd = 05

are completely ignored and the updates run during the day. :confused:

Another "here as well" to add to this thread -

So apparently even "large" number updates are indeed automatic but with somewhat erratic dates/times that they apply (an update from 18.0.28 #3 to 18.0.29 #2 that kicked off during business hours on its own).

All I can say is...... IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!

But some added transparency on when these are going to fire would be great from an operations perspective.

Back