• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk on AWS websites not displaying after reverting to a different snapshot

WorldWise

New Pleskian
Hello,
My Plesk is being hosted on AWS (CentOS 6.6). I reverted to a little bit older (perfectly fine) snapshot of my server. Now, none of the websites are showing up in the browser. I can access Plesk via: 54.175.209.106:8443 But if I just got to the 54.175.209.106 nothing resolves. (I tried going back to the previous snapshot, but that didn't work.)
Apache is running and DNS settings looks good (nothing changed). The only error in the log looks like it doesn't affect anything: "[Tue Sep 22 14:56:12 2015] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `Parallels Panel' does NOT match server name!?"

Any Ideas? I'll attach some pictures. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 4.12.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 4.12.25 PM.png
    150.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 4.14.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 4.14.04 PM.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I know this is no help but I had a similar situation on my AWS install. I could access :8443 but nothing on :80. I thought it was a firewall issue but ruled that out both on the server and in the Security Group. I then figured that AWS blocked my port 80 as I read that happens to some users and they need to contact AWS support to have it unblocked. That also was not the case. Long story short, I ended up doing a new install and migrating data. It wasn't worth any more of my time to track the issue down.

@squorpeeon Have you tried reverting to a different snapshot since you migrated your data to a fresh install? Because if we can't restore from a snapshot, then it makes little since to use Plesk or we can't rely on AWS for backups.

Unfortunately in my case I had not yet created a snapshot to revert to. You make a valid point though. I think I will test that.

I just created a snapshot and reverted to it with no issues. It makes me think it is something in the EC2 config and not in the volume. Have you tried creating a new security group and using it just to be sure it isn't a firewall issue? I don't use any firewall on my installs other than Security Groups.

Thanks for testing that. I tried changing security groups and that wasn't the issue, but it got me thinking on the right lines.

I read this on a Plesk article:

"ModSecurity is a module for Apache. Thus, it can check only HTTP requests that reach Apache. Apache is supplemented with another web server - nginx. If you turn on the Process PHP by nginx option of the nginx web server for dynamic content of your website, the web application firewall will not be able to check HTTP requests because they will never reach Apache. For static content, if the Serve static files directly by nginx option is on, then HTTP requests will not reach Apache, so ModSecurity will not check them."
http://download1.parallels.com/Ples...inistrator-guide/index.htm?fileName=73383.htm

So, I turned the service "Reverse Proxy Server (nginx)" off in Tools and Settings > Services Management and the websites came up. I'm not sure how this got enabled. But we are working now! Thanks for your help @squorpeeon!

You just jogged my memory. Nginx is installed as a reverse proxy by default. My problem was with nginx, it would occasionally crash and port 80 traffic would not get served. That is when I did a fresh install rather than tracking down the issue with nginx crashing. I haven't had any issues since then and am now on the latest build. Nginx is doing it's job as a reverse proxy without issue.

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I was able to turn Nginx back on and it still works. It may have just needed to be reset. Thanks!

Back