• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

plesk panel breaks postfix configuration - users can't send mails

L

lipek

user ramuva wrote about this problem in second section of his post http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=87715

the problem is whenever postfix configuration is rebuild by plesk panel (ie. when you change list of rbl servers to check) panel removes smtpd_client_restrictions line and adds its own which is badly generated.

wrong line:
smtpd_client_restrictions = reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org, reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net, permit_sasl_authenticated

should be:
smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org, reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net

as a result legitimate users connected from some blacklisted sites (ie. dynamic IP addresses) cannot send mails because BEFORE they can authenticate they are dropped because of IP.

The problem was in plesk 9.0 and still in 9.2.1 it isn't fixed. :(

Plesk needs to parse the existing main.cf file better and learn some "best practices" when it comes to the order in which it adds the RBLs. I've stopped using Plesk to edit mail settings because of this, but it's no real loss. Manually editing main.cf is easy and can yield results much better tailored to your needs. I create a backup of my working main.cf just in case I forget. =-)

Denis, thank you for trying answering questions, but we are talking about separate issue here.

The bottom line is, as user BMcKinney writes, one has to keep copies of main.cf and master.cf and have to check/edit them manually after each mail settings change or upgrade. It is pretty tiring.

And the issue raised in this post is about this about main.cf config parameter smtpd_client_restrictions, but not the issue you've tried to explain to us.

The issue is, that if one turns on and turns off dns blackhole plesk panel prepends reject_rbl_clients argument to this line instead of appending.

Back