• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Plesk Slave DNS & DNS Security

FYI

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 11
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsidian
Hey Fellows,

I have a question regarding the possibility of adding dnsdist to Plesk and its advantages, particularly when used in conjunction with the Slave DNS Manager. I am also interested in exploring the feasibility of running Plesk entirely without a local DNS server and relying solely on external nameservers, with dnsdist acting as a front-end for DNS security.

Firstly, I would like to know if it is possible to integrate dnsdist with Plesk. dnsdist is a powerful DNS load balancer, capable of distributing traffic among multiple DNS servers, improving performance and resilience. By incorporating dnsdist into the Plesk ecosystem, we can potentially enhance our DNS infrastructure's capabilities.

Moreover, I am curious about the benefits of using dnsdist alongside the Slave DNS Manager in Plesk. The Slave DNS Manager allows Plesk to work with external nameservers, enabling us to utilize DNS services from third-party providers. In this context, dnsdist could play a crucial role in ensuring optimal DNS security.

I would appreciate any insights or experiences regarding the integration of dnsdist with Plesk. Has anyone successfully implemented dnsdist within their Plesk environment? What advantages have you observed? Are there any specific considerations or prerequisites that should be taken into account?

Furthermore, I would like to explore the possibility of running Plesk without a local DNS server and relying solely on external nameservers. By placing dnsdist in front of these external nameservers, we can potentially benefit from its advanced DNS security features, such as DDoS protection, query filtering, and response rate limiting. This setup could offer an additional layer of protection for our DNS infrastructure.

While talking on a event to a someone who' Hosting more than thousand customers with plesk, there are times where really hard dns attacks comes trough and we talked about implementing dnsdist, but didnt saw from a theoretical fast brain session, that it would be that easy.

If anyone has experience running Plesk without a local DNS server and using dnsdist to enhance DNS security, I would love to hear about your experiences and any best practices you may have followed.

Thank you in advance for your insights and assistance!

Sounds like an advertisement for that DNS service you mention.

The service is doing what Cloudflare is doing. You can use it, but there is no integration with Plesk. You'd need to write your own extension for that.

You do not need to use Plesk DNS. Many hosters have their own DNS and configure domains externally. This requires manual configuration of DNS records.

Back