• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue Plesk slowed down to become unusable

kongo09

New Pleskian
I'm running Plesk 18.0.41 on a virtual server with Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS.

The system hosts four domains with next to no traffic, mostly does some email forwarding (less than 1 GB per month) and runs a (mostly idle) nextcloud instance.

Everything used to be speedy and fast, but since one week, the system became really unresponsive, especially Plesk itself. These are the symptoms:
  • Login as Plesk admin works but it takes minutes to change from one view to the next and often it times out, e.g. with a 504 Gateway Time-out of nginx
  • Mails don't get delivered anymore as servers trying to connect receive a time-out
  • The webserver responds and nextcloud is accessible
  • I can ssh and the system doesn't really look too busy. This is the output from top:
Tasks: 92 gesamt, 1 laufend, 90 schlafend, 0 gestoppt, 1 Zombie %CPU(s): 0,2 be, 1,2 sy, 0,0 ni, 98,6 un, 0,0 wa, 0,0 hi, 0,0 si, 0,0 st MiB Spch : 8192,0 gesamt, 5506,1 frei, 821,7 belegt, 1864,3 Puff/Cache MiB Swap: 0,0 gesamt, 0,0 frei, 0,0 belegt. 7248,8 verfü Spch

I haven't really changed anything a week ago and the whole system used to be very snappy and responsive. Any suggestion where I start looking?

Are you sure your resolving (/etc/resolv.conf) nameservers are ok? Sounds something networkish.

/etc/resolv.conf is generated automatically. It contains three nameservers. I tried some queries on them and they all work as expected.

I noticed one (maybe related, maybe not?) thing:
  • When accessing the Plesk admin pages, the browser makes calls to firehose.us-west-2.amazonaws.com. I have no idea what that is. The address resolves fine but it takes very, very long to get an answer from aws. As a user, it looks like Plesk is not loading, but it is actually the call to AWS that is blocking.
Any ideas around that? Could that be the cause?

Add 127.0.0.1 firehose.us-west-2.amazonaws.com to your local /etc/host or %WINDIR%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and check what happens.

Back