• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk with Centralized Database and Network File System

• Thread starter Alexander Yamshanov
  • Start date
Plesk with Centralized Database and Network File System

Continue reading...

@Alexander Yamshanov

I strongly feel that this is a tutorial that is essentially well-intended, but not really suitable for daily practice.

I can give you many reasons, but I will give you 2 major reasons :

1 - as long as Plesk does not support secure SQL connections, any unfortunate event to one server will mean that the database cluster gets data over a very non-secure connection ....... that is not a good idea, certainly when taking into account that "an unfortunate event" can be the result of an attack, aimed at the creation of a situation in which one (or more) servers fail, in order to pick up data from unsecure ports or connections....

2 - any custom setup of a Galera or another database cluster cannot outperform the database cluster solutions that are offered by cloud service providers .... and that again brings us to the issue of secure SQL connections : the perfect "managed database clusters in the cloud" cannot be used, as long as there is no option to connect via a secure SQL connection with Plesk.

Sure, I might be mistaken, but please correct me if I am mistaken and if there is a way of establishing secure SQL connections with Plesk.

In my humble opinion, you have made a tutorial that can be used perfectly and it is a well-written fine tutorial .......... but try to add some comments with respect to the security aspect of the whole setup and/or what could and what should be done to make the whole infrastructure secure.

Kind regards.....

Sorry, I have missed a reply on the topic created by "Alexander Yamshanov / Guest".

Sounds reasonable. I have also found your request on UserVoice (Secure MySQL connections), will discuss it with colleagues. Thank you for the feedback!

@AYamshanov

Please note that I cordially invite you to send me a private message, since there are many dimensions of porting Plesk to an infrastructure with a centralized database and/or a distributed filesystem, with those dimensions being different for the type of implementation (read: cloud based, dedi server based etc.)

In a far away past, I have done some elaborate testing on the subject ........ and some of these experiences I can still can recall, to some extent.

Feel free to send me a message!

Kind regards....

Back