• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs PleskBackup does not make incremental backups to S3 storage

Fistandantilus

New Pleskian
TITLE:
PleskBackup does not make incremental backups to S3 storage

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE:

‪Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS‬
Plesk Onyx
Version 17.8.11 Update #60, zuletzt aktualisiert: 14. Juli 2019 05:48:22

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:

I recently changed my daily / weekly backups from backup to a local NAS to an Amazon S3 compatible storage at Strato.

Unfortunately, for reasons unknown to me, it does not seem to perform any incremental backups on the S3 storage. There is no false report. He's doing a complete one every day.

Since I already had a similar problem on my NAS and you have solved that kindly, I have already tested whether it is the volume size of the backup. That's not the point this time.

ple1.png

You see that after the second full backup I switched to split volumes but unfortunately it was not successful.

Here are my backup settings:

ple2.png

I switched to S3 storage because I saw it as a cheaper alternative to a 24-hour NAS. Since I am paying the S3 memory for data volume, I would get away with the NAS for several weeks.

So I hope it's just a mistake somewhere and not basically like that.

Thank you in advance and best regards

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM:
Confirm bug

Could you describe steps to get S3 compatible access to Strato? We cannot get any useful info there.

Yes sure. That's this store here:

S3 - der schnelle, skalierbare Objektspeicher von STRATO

I normally state my bucket and usual phrases for access.

At the moment I have changed the backup so that it only suspends the backup files for 2 weeks to keep the data volume smaller.

Interestingly enough, he only takes the backup files for 2 days. So he makes 2 full backups and on the third day he deletes the oldest one.

It's like confusing weeks and days.

What are further steps after paying HiDrive S3?

Interestingly enough, he only takes the backup files for 2 days. So he makes 2 full backups and on the third day he deletes the oldest one.
It is because of full backups are created instead of incremental ones.

Where can I find the form?
4b9ed43ff1020d43278871276f9abbd2.png

It looks like there is a bug in HiDrive S3 API. When Plesk Backup Manager trying to get specified range of a backup file, e.g. 121151589-131637348 bytes, HiDrive S3 API returns different range ‭52428800‬-53477375 bytes that causes Plesk Backup Manager cannot find a base backup and creates a full backup instead of incremental one. I have posted the bug description to Strato.

I am sorry Strato does not agree they have the bug and they do not provide any proof. The ticket number is 2019072401000031. You can try to contact them yourself.

Alright thanks.

Well, then we can not do anything there.

I do not think that I have set something wrong because I am after their instructions. Be there occasional times to contact the support and until then simply back to FTP secure.

Last edited:
Hello, yes, I already went through the problem last week with Strato and also stated your findings.

They promised me to analyze the problem again.

Is it really good that it has led to a result in the end. Tonight's backup actually worked properly and generated an incremental file.

pl4.png

Super. Thank you very much.

Back