• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Pleskbackup - Runtime error: Could not run make dump with pmmcli[Illegal seek]

ospito

New Pleskian
Hello,
Every night a backup script runs and since a few days I got errors on just one server. This is the error:
Runtime error: Could not run make dump with pmmcli[Illegal seek]

Which pleskbackup command I run doesn't matter:
# /usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup domains-name mydomain.com

# /usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup server

Even with -v (Verbose) I can't get more information. Google or this forum didn't lead to a clue.

Why the procedure isn't working anymore isn't clear to me, nobody have done updates or changed anything the last days, nobody even logged in.

I hope someone knows an solution, thanks in advance.

Same ppmcli error here (all backup activity fails)

The same problem appeared here on a previously working system (PSA 9.2.1, openSuse 11.1).

I've upgraded the server to 9.2.2, but still got the same error. I haven't found any solution yet. If anyone can think of a possible solution or has a suggestion where to look, please post it. Every comment about this problem is really appreciated.

You can try to grep PMM logs for exceptions, it might shed some light on cause of this issue.

# grep -i exception /usr/local/psa/PMM/sessions/*

Also it may be useful to reinstall (or at least verify) backup manager rpm.

reinstall didn't help...

I already tried to reinstall the backup tool - but without any changes - I get exactly the same error after reinstall

have to say, I'm using Debian 4 not openSuse, but I think, there are no differences... it seems to me, that removing the packages from backup not really removes them. Somebody knows which files have to be removed?

-- Attachment: error I've got from PMMCLI --

Attachments

• plesk-backup-error.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 12
one possible solution...

I finally found the command to create a working backup from plesk/ the whole server (settings + customer/reseller + domains etc.)

There's a LOG in folder "/opt/psa/PMM/logs" named "pmmcli.log" - here I found the entry

24489: 2009-07-08 03:08:03,712 INFO Executing asynchronously <subprocess[24491] '/usr/bin/perl /opt/psa/admin/bin/plesk_agent_manager server --owner-uid=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx --dump-rotation=7 --suspend --session-path=/opt/psa/PMM/sessions/2009-07-08-030803.839 --output-file=ftp://ftp.domain.com/backup-path'>

Copy the command, add the following params:

--ftp-login='username'
--ftp-password='password'

The param "owner-uid" ist not exactly necessary, so leave it or use it as you wish.

I replaced the "--session-path" xx/xx/PMM/session value with the following by using placeholders

--session-path=/opt/psa/PMM/sessions/`date +%Y-%m-%d`.session

to create a new session.log for every backup-session.
And that works - backup was successfully stored on my FTP-site.

Next step I think is a little over the top, but it works, so I don't matter about it...

I did a complete fresh reinstall of my Server with only Debian 4 (same should work with Ubuntu or openSuse), downloaded the psa-autoinstaller and did a clean install of Plesk.

After login to Plesk, I've made the FTP-settings for Plesk Backup Manager (which is now working! whohooo ), loaded the FTP-backup-file, copied it to local repository and finally restored it.

So now I've a working Plesk 9.2.2 again.

Don't know, why I've got the error before - I think the problem occured, because I've made an upgrade using the psa-autoinstaller from Plesk 9.2.1 to Plesk 9.2.2 -- but it's just a hunch...

Whatever - Plesk works fine now.

I have found some additional information on what could cause the pmmcli error. The autoinstaller reports a Python problem:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/pmmcli", line 5, in <module>
import pmmcli
File "/usr/local/psa/admin/share/pmmcli/pmmcli.py", line 6, in <module>
import libxml2
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in <module>
import libxml2mod
ImportError: /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined symbol: xmlSchemaValidCtxtGetParserCtxt

SOLVED - read for the solution

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies. Because of them I've found the solution, or better said, I found the cause of the problem.
We're using CentOS for our Plesk servers and we are hitting a limitation of Linux here.

In /usr/local/psa/PMM/sessions were 31999 directories, for every back-up process the pleskbackup program creates a new directory. Manually creating the dir doesn't work either.
# mkdir test
mkdir: Failed to make directory "test"; Too many links

Cleaning up old directories got the pleskbackup running again.

To not hit this limit again, I've added a line to my nightly running backup script which removes old session directories.
find /usr/local/psa/PMM/sessions -mtime +30 -type d | grep -v archives | xargs rm -Rf

This command removes all session directories older than 30 days.

Thanks again for pointing me to the log files and the special path's used by pleskbackup. Without it I would never have come to the solution I think.

Different problem here then (Opensuse 11.1: only 3 sessions in folder)

Great that you could solve the problem for your system.
Unluckily I find only three session folders here. So for OpenSuse 11.1 we need another solution.
Regards, Stephan

As this is is Google's top result for this error message, i got this also in plesk 12:

"Runtime error: Could not run make dump with pmmcli[Illegal seek]" error trying to use pleskbackup

Running pmmcli results in:

File "/usr/local/psa/admin/share/pmmcli/pmm_migration_handler.py", line 16, in <module>
import migration_handler
ImportError: No module named migration_handler

Simple solution: Install Migration manager via autoinstaller.

Back