• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question plugins and themes of old website in wp-backend after cloning website

eselmarvin

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Mac OS 12.5.1
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsidian
Hello,

I built a completely new website on a subdomain and transferred it to my top level domain, where my old homepage still was. I proceeded as follows:
  • In the WP-Toolkit I clicked "clone" on the subdomain (source)
  • In the window that opened I clicked "using existing domain or subdomain" and chose my top level domain as target. The field "clone path" i left blank.
  • In the database field I entered the database of the existing top level domain. pic of settings

After cloning was finished I realised that in the wp-backend of the top level domain website there are still the plugins and themes of the old website.
I would be very thankful if somebody could explain how to transfer the website from staging to live, so that there are no leftovers from the old website.

Thank you!

Hi!
Try to use Copy Data feature. It has option "Remove missing files"

Last edited:
Hi @Vladimir S. ,

I copied the website from staging to the live domain and it worked. The plugins and themes of the old website are gone. Thank you!

But now I can see on "Websites & Domains" that the disk usage of the live domain is 4689.8 MB whereas it is only 2.9 MB of the staging domain. How can this be?

Also on the database tab of Plesk I can see that the database of the live domain has two users, more tables and is bigger in MBs than the staging domain that I used as source.

Your help is much appreciated.

You can use Calculate Size (Filemanager -> More -> Calculate Size) to find big files/folders.
Was the website on the main domain smaller than now, before Copy Data?

@Vladimir S. thank you for your reply! The files/folders for the live domain are 500 MB and 510 MB for the staging domain.
Unfortunately I don't remember the size of the old website that was on the main domain before copy data.

Would it maybe help to solve this issue if I just delete the main domain and then add a new domain and copy data again from the staging domain?

Would it maybe help to solve this issue if I just delete the main domain and then add a new domain and copy data again from the staging domain?
Cloning to an empty domain and database is good solution. Make a backup before remove your site.
But, why? If your staging uses 510MB, after cloning it will use 510MB, I think.

Back