• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

pop3/imap login question: can distance increase traffic?

Sven L.

Regular Pleskian
hello,

as I mentioned in another post, I am having problems with a new customer, they usually consumed around 300MB bandwidth per month and suddenly, in past 48h. they consumed 8GB!

Statistics tell me it's all from pop3/imap access and I don't even know what I should be looking for.

I went to the maillog and I see they do a login every 3 seconds, even deep in the night. so I guess it's a smartphone

this new customer is from Marroc

here is a extract:

Sep 27 04:29:27 vps01 courier-pop3d: LOGIN, [email protected], ip=[<private>], port=[1649]
Sep 27 04:29:27 vps01 courier-pop3d: LOGOUT, [email protected], ip=[<private>], port=[1649], top=0, retr=0, rcvd=24, sent=6359, time=0
Sep 27 04:29:45 vps01 courier-pop3d: Connection, ip=[<private>]
Sep 27 04:29:45 vps01 courier-pop3d: LOGIN, [email protected], ip=[<private>], port=[3100]
Sep 27 04:29:45 vps01 courier-pop3d: LOGOUT, [email protected], ip=[<private>], port=[3100], top=0, retr=0, rcvd=24, sent=9858, time=0
Sep 27 04:29:53 vps01 courier-pop3d: Connection, ip=[<private>]
Sep 27 04:29:53 vps01 courier-pop3d: LOGIN, [email protected], ip=[<private>], port=[4139]
Sep 27 04:29:54 vps01 courier-pop3d: LOGOUT, [email protected], ip=[<private>], port=[4139], top=0, retr=0, rcvd=12, sent=39, time=1

NOTE: my server is in the Netherlands
as you see, the two users from .ma (aka: Marroc) are doing connections. they do this every 3 seconds even at night.
but I have other customers who do the same, and they don't have a bandwidth problem

so, what I am seeing here is, the two Marroc accounts do a connection and send 5-10K of info everytime, while the Spanish users only send 25-100 bytes
that is a huge difference, but I have no clue what would be the cause of this...

so my question is:
would it be possible that, due being so far away, paquets travel over more routers and do more checks, generating much more traffic just for a login/logout process?

IMO, highly unlikely. While being far away may increase TCP packet retransmissions, increasing real bandwidth usage, this will not be visible in logs (since IMAP/POP3 server shouldn't be aware of retransmissions at all - this is kernel TCP stack work).

I think the issue is rather in mail client that is being used. Or maybe mailbox has a lot of mails, so its listing is too heavy. Judging by rcvd count client did not send many commands.

Back