• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

ports blocked on fresh 1&1 root server

A

alexintrv

you can also answer this on google for $80 http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=457267

For some I cannot connect to ftp, pop, smtp, mysql -- all ports other than 80,
ssl and ssh, from outside the network. I can connect only to "localhost " but cannot from outside.
Here is an example trying to connect to ftp from my home pc :

C:\>telnet 217.160.249.13 21
Connecting To 217.160.249.13...Could not open connection to the host, on port 21
: Connect failed

Same happens when I connect to ftp, mysql, anything other than ports 80,
ssl, ssh.

I can connect to mysql only when I set it to operate on port 80 (and stop httpd of course)

Moreover, the root server does not connect to other servers. :confused:

[root@server root]# wget google.com
--14:29:56-- http://google.com/
=> `index.html'
Resolving google.com... 216.239.57.99, 216.239.37.99, 216.239.39.99
Connecting to google.com[216.239.57.99]:80...
*******delay
Connecting to google.com[216.239.57.99]:80... failed: Connection timed out.
I tried downloading from other servers, and using curl -- all failed. Even my php scripts cannot conenct to anywhere; or when I try to use apache as a proxy server, connecting to another server -- I get connection falures.
I can connect to localhost only :) - wget localhost works fine..

Server has Fedora Core 2 Linux Plesk 7.5 Reloaded.
The iptables are empty, plesk firewall setting allow everything.. Still all ports bloked. I used nmap to scan ports on the server - www, ssh, plesk - are the only open ports!!
I just got the server from 1&1.

Please advise how I can fix it. Thanks!

yes but they have pretty bad support. the response I got was that they were updating something with their routers for 15 minutes and everything should work fine now.
so i sent a reply asking if they have an external firewall blocking my ports and there was no response yet.

can you give an

netstat -apn

output to see if the server itself is listening on these ports. Otherwise 1&1 is proofing his bad quality and service reputation again.....

regards

duke

yeah i checked that those ports are working. in fact, when i set mysql to work on port 80, i can access it from the outsite, it works fine.

Linux won't block anything unless its told to, ala iptables. Sounds like a 1&1 network issue.

Originally posted by sieb
Linux won't block anything unless its told to, ala iptables. Sounds like a 1&1 network issue.

yes, but it was an possiblity that the deamons didn't have any sockets or something to listen corretly on their ports. So it seems 1&1 is bad as usual.

duke

1and1 and the ports

Hey Guys,

I have a few servers with 1and1 and although I agree that their support is second to many, it's probably because they are too big for their own good.

Anyways, new servers from 1and1 have most all ports blocked until the account holder is verified now because of a bunch of foreign countries scams that happened.

A quick phone call to them to confirm that I was in north america and gave the correct address details fixed the problem within 15 minutes. They release the ports immediately. As soon as the ports were released, YUM began to work, and so did the license in plesk and the plesk updates.

One other note. My 1and1 servers didn't have gcc installed which seemed to have caused the update to plesk 7.5.1 to fail. After installing it, everything is fine.

Now my servers are all running flawlessly. Not the fastest connection in the world but they have been stable and reliable.

IMHO

R

Back