• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue postfix milter-reject | how to tune Milter ?

jorge ceballos

Regular Pleskian
Hi,
I have a sporadic problem with postfix milter rejecting valid emails sent from a specific confirmated source (its a bank).
Please notice, Greylisting is NOT enabled and has never been.

Two days ago, I whitelisted this domain (*.domain) in the server-wide email config, though no AV is active.
Yesterday, I disabled EVERY email incoming filter incluing the Milter in the services panel to no avail; these emails were rejected.
The log shows the following:

XXXXXXXX: milter-reject: END-OF-MESSAGE from email.bank.com[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 5.7.1 Command rejected; from=<[email protected]> to=<[email protected]> proto=ESMTP helo=<email.bank.com>

If I look into further detail by the message's ID, I get:

xxxxxx: milter-reject: END-OF-MESSAGE from mail.bank.com[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 5.7.1 Command rejected; from=<account@bankcom> to=<[email protected]> proto=ESMTP helo=<mail.bank.com>

xxxxxx: message-id=<[email protected]>

xxxxxx: client=mail.bank.com[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

Please advice, I'm lost and haven't found anything in the web regarding how to tune Milter.

Regards

Hi,

You can try to add a -v to the smtpd process in /etc/postfix/master.cf and reload postfix. You'll see a lot more output in the maillog:

smtp inet n - n - - smtpd -v

Thanks Maartenv,
I am sorry, Plesk support found I had ClamAV running, which I dont recall having installed and it was blocking certain PDFs attachments according to its heuristic analysis.
BTW, though reject was shown in the maillog, maillog.processed had all the missing details - like the clamd rejection; so its always a good idea to check both looking out for more detail, like in my case.

Regards,

Thanks Maartenv,
I am sorry, Plesk support found I had ClamAV running, which I dont recall having installed and it was blocking certain PDFs attachments according to its heuristic analysis.
BTW, though reject was shown in the maillog, maillog.processed had all the missing details - like the clamd rejection; so its always a good idea to check both looking out for more detail, like in my case.

Regards,
No worries, I'm glad it's solved now!

Can you please change the status of your question from "Issue" to "Resolved"?

Back