• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Postfix not working after installing Plesk Obsidian on Red Hat 8

rogonl

New Pleskian
I'm trying to setup the latest Plesk Obsidian release on a Red Hat 8 server, but it seems the installation of postfix seems to fail (see details below). I guess this happens because of the fact that it automatically tries to install CentOS packages and not the standard Red Hat 8 packages. How can I get this fixed and make sure this problem doesn't reoccur after the next upgrade?

Kind regards, Ronald van Gogh

# systemctl status -l postfix.service
● postfix.service - Postfix Mail Transport Agent
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/postfix.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/postfix.service.d
└─respawn.conf
Active: activating (start) since Fri 2020-04-17 16:15:25 CEST; 296ms ago
Process: 20763 ExecStartPre=/usr/libexec/postfix/chroot-update (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 20760 ExecStartPre=/usr/libexec/postfix/aliasesdb (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 25067 (code=killed, signal=TERM); Control PID: 20764 (postfix-script)
Tasks: 2 (limit: 26213)
Memory: 1.9M
CGroup: /system.slice/postfix.service
├─20764 /bin/sh /usr/libexec/postfix/postfix-script start
└─20766 /usr/sbin/postlog -t postfix/postfix-script -p fatal no Postfix shared-library directory /usr/lib64/postfix!

Apr 17 16:15:25 mwqapp2.cloud.enovation.net systemd[1]: Starting Postfix Mail Transport Agent...
Apr 17 16:15:25 mwqapp2.cloud.enovation.net postfix[20764]: /usr/libexec/postfix/postfix-script: line 74: cd: /usr/lib64/postfix: No such file or directory
Apr 17 16:15:25 mwqapp2.cloud.enovation.net postfix/postfix-script[20766]: fatal: no Postfix shared-library directory /usr/lib64/postfix!

Yes, we install our postfix 2: 3.4.8, which is newer than the system postfix 2: 3.3.1-9.el8
CentOS is in the package name because the build is on CentOS 8, but the packages are common for CentOS and RHEL.

Developers have checked this issue and confirmed. The bugreport PPP-48637 has been submitted.

Last edited:
As a possible workaround, you can apply following patch to /etc/postfix/main.cf file:

Code:
+shlib_directory = no
-inet_interfaces = all
-shlib_directory = /usr/lib64/postfix

Hi Igor,

I received first a mail from you to register a report for this. Is this still necessary as I see now that already a bugreport has been created?
Secondly, I know that installing CentOS packages on RHEL systems normally works, but I guess you need to be careful with this when regular packages are already being used from the standard repositories and especially when additional repositories like EPEL are being used as well.
Finally, I did bypass the problem now by creating the additional directory /usr/lib64/postfix manually on the server including the libraries I copied from another server.

1. The report was already submitted, you should do nothing.
2. Agree.
3. It's better to use the patch above.

Back