• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PowerDNS as Secondary DNS

MarkM

Golden Pleskian
Plesk Guru
Hello,

I am looking to use PowerDNS as secondary DNS by adding a Plesk server as a Supermaster. The Supermaster should allow the provisioning of new domains automatically BUT how does it react when suspending a domain? When a domain is suspended in Plesk, I would like for the PowerDNS slave to not respond as well.

Feedback and suggestions anyone?

Thanks!

Had a chance to test it, and it does not appear to suspend the secondary DNS.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

There are actually some benefits to retaining the DNS records. Specifically, it allows you to set up a default page that says something like "This site is suspended - contact support".

We use 4PSA's DNS Manager for DNS. A script running on the Plesk server created a file containing all dns records which the DNS Manager server then retrieves. Suspended domains don't appear in the list.

A setting in DNS Manager then allows you to decide what to do with domains that are no longer in the list - keep serving the records previously stored, or delete the records.

There are other ways to set it up too.

I'm sure you can actually create something similar yourself without too much bother. All you need is a really cheap VPS or two to act as the DNS servers.
1) Write a little script that dumps DNS records from the Plesk database (or maybe just copy from named's config?) and write them to a file
2) Write another little script that grabs that file, processed it and creates or updates the necessary records on the VPS.

(I'm sure there are complications I've not thought of, but that's the basics really).

Actually, I wonder whether you could just rsync the directory structure, at least for the master DNS server?
Hmm...

I'll bet someone's already done this one way or the other.

Back