• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Problem with Anonymous Authentication credentials after 11.5 update (from 11.0.9)

iltera

Basic Pleskian
Hi Everybody,

A couple of days ago I updated plesk 11.0.9 to 11.5 by pressing the update link which was on the panel homepage. Installation gave an error and stopped (I guess that happened to most of the people who has upgraded recently). I continued the rest of the installation by manually running parallels installer exe file which was located in C:\ParallelsInstaller directory. Chose the rest of the modules which were not updated at the first time and finished installation.

After that neither the panel, nor the domains that are registered on that server, didn't open anymore. Every site gave 500.19 error about the custom error pages. Error was "Absolute physical path "%domain_dir%\error_docs\bad_request.html" is not allowed in system.webServer/httpErrors section in web.config file. Use relative path instead.". That is OK, because I know that with the new version there are changes in domain folders (logs, error pages etc). I deleted the errorpage lines from the web config and after that started to receive another error (for panel, too). It was about Anonymous Authentication identity. Normally (at least that is what I know) plesk controls these sites with Specific User accounts that are created with the subscriptions. But now, mor me, the only way to open sites without an error is to choose Application Pool Identity rather than Plesk's Specific User. With that everything works, untill I add another subscription to the panel. That new subscription is being created with a Specific User (of course) and I have to manually change the authentication identity after every subscription creation.

I even had to change
PleskControlPanel site's authentication type to app pool identity in IIS, in order to open the login page without errors.

I am searching and trying things to solve this by myself but had no luck so far. Just want to work with panel without any user interactions to windows controls (like IIS). I guess there is a setting somewhere that will make all these nightmares go away, but couldn't find it yet. Anybody has any ideas how to resolve that issue?

Thanks for reading and commenting.

I found the reason of all these. When I got the error during the upgrade, I made a quick search and tried somethings. One of them was changing permissions of the MachineKeys folder. After the upgrade accounts couldn't get the correct keys to decode the passwords and that's why I got errors about authentication :(
Now I need to change back all the domains to Specific User (IUSR_domain) from Anonymous Authentication. I tried all the passwords I used in the panel and in windows server, but I get wrong password error everytime.

Now I have 2 questions!
How can I find the passwords of these IUSR_domain users?
Is it safe to reset these users' passwords from "Local Users and Groups"?

Back