• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Problem with limit email counting and forwarding addresses

jterry

Basic Pleskian
Hello
I have a problem and perhaps someone can help me.
I explain:
I manage the email of a mid-size business with Plesk/Linux (This is AlmaLinux 8.4)
To prevent spam in "scammed users" account, i've set a limit of 30 mails/hour per account and 2000/hour for domain.
I've added all IPs of the business in mail server WhiteList (also, the localhost IP4 and IP6)
We have an address (call it rh) that forwards email to all employees (about 300)

My problem is that when someone writes to that rh account it exceeds the limit of 30 and there are errors in logs and all mails are not delivered (this worked fine before the limits)

I've noted the "counting" is done for the rh account, not the sender (ie john).

In /var/log/maillog i find something like this:

Code:
.... TRIMMED ....

Oct 19 13:15:23 mail postfix-local[42864]: C65243EDC6: from=<[email protected]>, to=<[email protected]>, dirname=/var/qmail/mailnames
Oct 19 13:15:23 mail postfix-local[42865]: C65243EDC6: from=<[email protected]>, to=<[email protected]>, dirname=/var/qmail/mailnames

.... TRIMMED ....

Oct 19 14:10:29 mail postfix-local[60114]: C65243EDC6: send message: id=S60114 from=<[email protected]> to=<[email protected]>
Oct 19 14:10:29 mail postfix-local[60114]: C65243EDC6: send message: id=S60114 from=<[email protected]> to=<[email protected]>
Oct 19 14:10:30 mail postfix-local[60114]: C65243EDC6: send message: id=S60114 from=<[email protected]> to=<[email protected]>
Oct 19 14:10:30 mail postfix/pipe[58801]: C65243EDC6: to=<[email protected]>, relay=plesk_virtual, delay=3307, delays=3238/0/0/69, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via plesk_virtual service)

I suppose the local service is plesk_virtual or otherthing and it not is cared to the "WhiteList".

How can i solve this (without make the rh account "unlimited or similar")

TIA.

1) Set the global subscription mail out limit to 300 (plus a few extra).
2) Let the internal forwarding mail address use the full limit.
3) Lower all other mailboxes to a reasonably smaller number.

Pass and block lists can be used for internal and external addresses. If the forwarding address is for internal use only, you can exclude all email addresses with a wildcard entry * in the block list and add all addresses that are allowed to mail to that forwarding (distribution list) by adding them to the white list of the spam filter.

1) Set the global subscription mail out limit to 300 (plus a few extra).
2) Let the internal forwarding mail address use the full limit.
3) Lower all other mailboxes to a reasonably smaller number.

Pass and block lists can be used for internal and external addresses. If the forwarding address is for internal use only, you can exclude all email addresses with a wildcard entry * in the block list and add all addresses that are allowed to mail to that forwarding (distribution list) by adding them to the white list of the spam filter.
Thanks!

I'll review this tomorow. late here now!

Something like this was my plan b, but...

I like the idea of limit who is allowed to use that address! Thanks again.

Tomorrow i'll reply how is gone.

Best,

1) Set the global subscription mail out limit to 300 (plus a few extra). 2) Let the internal forwarding mail address use the full limit. 3) Lower all other mailboxes to a reasonably smaller number. Pass and block lists can be used for internal and external addresses. If the forwarding address is for internal use only, you can exclude all email addresses with a wildcard entry * in the block list and add all addresses that are allowed to mail to that forwarding (distribution list) by adding them to the white list of the spam filter.

Hello,

Well, your idea to limit who can write that address works great, is working and only a few workers can send mail to the forwarding address.

The other thing, i need 2000 msg/hour (at least) because de 300 accounts are of people that works here and send mails between them and outside addresses, and some days, there are 2 o 3 communications to the rh list. (usually no mails to that list, but once in weeks some departments send.) I've it solved (for now) with 2000 global, some like 800 for the forwarder) and limiting who can write to that account.

Really, thanks, thanks by this idea.

Best,

Hello,

Well, your idea to limit who can write that address works great, is working and only a few workers can send mail to the forwarding address.

The other thing, i need 2000 msg/hour (at least) because de 300 accounts are of people that works here and send mails between them and outside addresses, and some days, there are 2 o 3 communications to the rh list. (usually no mails to that list, but once in weeks some departments send.) I've it solved (for now) with 2000 global, some like 800 for the forwarder) and limiting who can write to that account.

Really, thanks, thanks by this idea.

Best,
You probably want to look into the mailing list feature. It can be installed through the upgrades and updates page of your server is your own.

You probably want to look into the mailing list feature. It can be installed through the upgrades and updates page of your server is your own.
I've see in the Plesk's docs that i loose the outgoing email control. I really need this because from time to time some user enters the account data in a scam/spammer page and the account is used to send spam by botnets from our server. Limiting the number of them is the unique way i've found to detect when this happens.

Back