• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Problem with locally injected emails (qmail)

RPD

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

we are using the current version of Plesk (12.5.30 Update 45) in CentOS 7 with the qmail MTA.

When locally injecting emails, e.g. via PHP's mail() function, every email sent has a dot added to its end (mail body). This also applies to notification emails sent by plesk (e.g. "
A new domain name has been created..." etc.).

We are suspecting the Plesk qmail-sendmail-wrapper (/usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/qmail-sendmail-wrapper) to be the source of the problem.

Searching the forum and knowledge base didn't bring up any useful information regarding this issue.

Could the Plesk team please provide a fix for this?

In the meantime, are there any workarounds?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,

RPD

Unfortunately that is not an option for us in the near future, because we have a lot of code that heavily relies on qmail. Maybe in the long term we could port our code to Postfix, but that's not a solution we can implement right now.

As far as I understand, qmail is a supported MTA in Plesk 12.5, so I hope, we can get a quick fix for the problem. I suppose we could bypass the Plesk qmail-sendmail-wrapper entirely and directly use the qmail provided sendmail-wrapper. But then, configured limits for outgoing email per day won't work anymore. So that's not really a solution.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

RPD

I would suggest you check php.ini first due to PHP mail() function usage.

In php.ini:

[mail function]
; For Unix only. You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
; http://php.net/sendmail-path
;sendmail_path =

; Force the addition of the specified parameters to be passed as extra parameters
; to the sendmail binary. These parameters will always replace the value of
; the 5th parameter to mail(), even in safe mode.
;mail.force_extra_parameters =

AFAIR, -i option should filter dot.

Hello Igor,

thank you for your reply.

Our sendmail_path in php.ini does already contain the sendmail parameter -i (sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i). Additionally adding -i to mail.force_extra_parameters didn't help either.

It is our impression that Plesk qmail-sendmail-wrapper adds the dot to the end of the email and sends this modified message through "/var/qmail/bin/sendmail -i" or "/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject". That would explain the symptoms.

As I already said, the same problem occurs when Plesk sends its notification emails. So I think it's a general problem with how locally injected emails are handled by the Plesk qmail setup.

Thank you!

RPD

Back