• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Problem with Postfix and pc-remote

BastienB

New Pleskian
Hi,

I have switch from qmail to postfix on a plesk 11.0.9 (centos 5.8), but i am unable to send an email.
In plesk control panel, in the service management, the plesk milter (postfix) doesn't start.
In my mailog, I have the following errors :
/usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[24864]: PleskFilter: Unknown host name localhost
/usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[24864]: PleskFilter: Unable to create listening socket on conn inet:12768@localhost

I don't understand why localhost is an unknown host name...

If I try to start pc-remote from command line the result is the same.

I made the switch from qmail to postfix on another server with the same os and plesk versions and the result is the same, plesk milter is not starting and I can't send an email from the server.

I saw many issues with plesk milter in this thread http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=208771 but in my case it is not a server load problem (http://kb.parallels.com/114982)

Please can you tell me what's wrong.

Thank you

Do you have localhost in output of command

# hostname -f

?

Hi Igor,

The hostname -f command output ns211323.ovh.net which is the value that has been set by my provider (ovh).
ns211323.ovh.net is the url from wich i can access plesk.

I tried to put localhost instead (edit /etc/sysconfig/network and restart network) but no luck, it didn't work...

Do you have an idea ?

Thank you

Last edited:
Check your /etc/hosts file. It should point localhost to 127.0.0.1 first (and optionally to ::1 after that).

Hi Nikolay,

Here is the content of my /ets/hosts file :
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
188.165.213.65 ns211323.ovh.net ns211323

Is it wrong ?

Thank you

Seems OK. I assume localhost also correctly resolves to 127.0.0.1.

As a workaround you could try to adjust pc-remote configuration (look at init script and configs in /etc/default) and Postfix configuration (look for milter settings) to include 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost. Not sure this will help, however. Also this should not be a permanent solution.

Nikolay,

I changed localhost to 127.0.0.1 in the init script and it's working. But as you said it should not be a permanent solution.
How can I be sure that localhost resolves to 127.0.0.1 ? With ping it's ok :

# ping localhost
PING localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.020 ms
64 bytes from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.011 ms

What can i do to solve this problem ?

Thank you for your help

Back