• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Problem with Postfix and pc-remote

BastienB

New Pleskian
Hi,

I have switch from qmail to postfix on a plesk 11.0.9 (centos 5.8), but i am unable to send an email.
In plesk control panel, in the service management, the plesk milter (postfix) doesn't start.
In my mailog, I have the following errors :
/usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[24864]: PleskFilter: Unknown host name localhost
/usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[24864]: PleskFilter: Unable to create listening socket on conn inet:12768@localhost

I don't understand why localhost is an unknown host name...

If I try to start pc-remote from command line the result is the same.

I made the switch from qmail to postfix on another server with the same os and plesk versions and the result is the same, plesk milter is not starting and I can't send an email from the server.

I saw many issues with plesk milter in this thread http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=208771 but in my case it is not a server load problem (http://kb.parallels.com/114982)

Please can you tell me what's wrong.

Thank you

Do you have localhost in output of command

# hostname -f

?

Hi Igor,

The hostname -f command output ns211323.ovh.net which is the value that has been set by my provider (ovh).
ns211323.ovh.net is the url from wich i can access plesk.

I tried to put localhost instead (edit /etc/sysconfig/network and restart network) but no luck, it didn't work...

Do you have an idea ?

Thank you

Last edited:
Check your /etc/hosts file. It should point localhost to 127.0.0.1 first (and optionally to ::1 after that).

Hi Nikolay,

Here is the content of my /ets/hosts file :
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
188.165.213.65 ns211323.ovh.net ns211323

Is it wrong ?

Thank you

Seems OK. I assume localhost also correctly resolves to 127.0.0.1.

As a workaround you could try to adjust pc-remote configuration (look at init script and configs in /etc/default) and Postfix configuration (look for milter settings) to include 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost. Not sure this will help, however. Also this should not be a permanent solution.

Nikolay,

I changed localhost to 127.0.0.1 in the init script and it's working. But as you said it should not be a permanent solution.
How can I be sure that localhost resolves to 127.0.0.1 ? With ping it's ok :

# ping localhost
PING localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.020 ms
64 bytes from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.011 ms

What can i do to solve this problem ?

Thank you for your help

Back