• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Problems with Apache2 update under Plesk 8.0.x - Help needed !

S

serverguru21

Hi everybody!

I have got a really big problem trying to update my apache web server under Plesk 8.0.1.

Some information first:
admin software: Plesk 8.0.1
current web server: apache 2.0.53

I would like to update to the latest 2.0 version of apache which should be 2.0.59 at the moment.

When I manually do the update (./configure, make, make install <<or alternatively >> ./config.nice, make, make install), the update runs fine. But when I reboot my whole server, it always starts the old version 2.0.53.

So I tried to edit the boot-up folder (/etc/init.d) to start the new apache version and I discovered, that the old version was started with "/etc/init.d/apache2" whereas the new version of apache (2.0.59) needs to be started with "/etc/init.d/apachectl". But when I delete the "apache2" file and add the "apachectl" file to the start-up folder, Plesk shows an error message saying it can't start the apache web server as the "etc/init.d/apache2" file is missing. So I have the right web server version running (2.0.53), but Plesk won't work. When I put the old start-up file (apache2) back to the start-up folder, Plesk works fine, but my domains all work with the old web server version.

I know that in the knowledgebase it says that the update of apache should be no problem, but I haven't been able to get it working.

Has anyone had that problem before? Any idea? I guess it's a Plesk configuration thing, but I'm really running out of ideas now. Any help is extremely welcome.

Many thanks !!!
Tom.

Back