• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Problems with inbound TLS due to standard DNS template

fliegerhermi

Regular Pleskian
Hi everybody.
With the standard-DNS-Layout every customer has an MX-entry like MX 10 mail.customerdomainexample.com

The problem is, that inbound mailservers get a TLS warning, because the mailhostname does not match mail.companydomainexample.com, which is the domain with a valid SSL-Certificate pointing to the same server.

Wouldn't it make sense to change the default template to mail.companydomainexample.com since it is the same machine anyway?
Am I twisted up in my thinking somehow?

Thank you very much.

Do you mean the TLS Warning from Outlook?

If so tell your customers to use

mail.companydomainexample.com

with secure conections.

I do this with webmail, plesk and mail servers - that way customers don't get any security warnings.

Hope that helps

Kind regards

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

thank you for the fast reply. I handle the customer-connections just the way you do, which is a pain somehow, because a server-change requires the customers to change all the addresses in their computers. Hopefully Plesk remains a good system for quite a while ;)

What I was really talking about are SMTP connections from ISP to ISP.
With the default DNS template the customers MX ist mail.customerdomainexample.com which gives the other ISP MX a false certificate warning, because my MX is responding with mail.myispdomainexample.com Some ISPs drop the connection if that happens.

I like it if the customersdomain shows up as often as possible, but in this case I just don't see why you would do it this way. Does it have any negative effects if I change the default template to always point to mail.myispdomain.com?

Thanks!

Back