• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PrpFTPD problem

E

EleftheriosN

Until recently I was using mozilla to FTP via proftpd files to site.
I am on Plesk 9.2.3

Recently i read that proftpd 1.3.1 that is installed on the server had security problems and as i was
unsure to upgrade to plesk, everytime i wanted to upload files i went to ssh and used the commands
service proftpd start or stop to start or stop the proftpd service

today when i went to do the same i took the reply from server: proftpd: unrecognized service
The strange is that even with this reply the proftpd service works as i get from filezilla the reply:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 ProFTPD 1.3.1 Server (ProFTPD)

I used top command and when i upload something i see a service in.proftpd running

I run the command: netstat -tnlp and i saw
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:21 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 16945/xinetd

so my proftpd is controlled from xined.

but why the service proftpd does not work anymore?

what has happened? can you help me please ?

I restart xined service but with no results

Thanks in advance

Sorry, but what is the problem? Do you have open 21 ftp port? Do you have any problems with uploading files via ftp? What sort of problem? Could you please clarify? Problem in that you can't restart proftpd service by xinetd? Or what?

Hi Igor,

The problem is that with no reason the command service proftpd start/stop/status does not work anymore.

Actually there is no problem uploading files, but i wanted to disable the FTP service manually via SSH when I was not using the FTP

and i was curious to learn the reason of this change (for learning purposes)

I did it, i restart xinetd , but again the FTP works but no proftpd service works.
Again when i upload the in.proftpd is the program that works

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply
.disable = yes
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
user = root
instances = UNLIMITED
server = /usr/sbin/in.proftpd
server_args = -c /etc/proftpd.conf
}

proftpd is controlled through xinetd, which means that xinetd spawns it as an on demand service - whenever a connection attempt comes in xinetd starts up the proftpd stuff and allows the connection in.

There is no need to have it setup as a dedicated service now.

Back