• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Qmail and Amavis

S

saschahb

Hi,

i just tried to use amavis with qmail.

- i downloaded amavis-0.3.12
- ./configure --prefix=/usr/local

everything was detected correctly...

- make and then make install
- cd /var/qmail/bin
- cp qmail-queue qmail-queue-real
- cp /usr/local/sbin/amavis qmail-queue

now I've changed the orig queue to the one from amavis.

when i do a test:

echo test|mailx -i [email protected]

the email arrives at my mailbox... and yeah! it was checked for virus (i can see the tag within the mailheader)...

BUT: now my problem...

if the mail arrives from outside the qmail-daemon does not even touch this qmail-queue... no log entry, no failure... so the mail will not be delivered...

if i change back to the original qmail-queue everything works fine...

anyone has a solution for this problem?

Now it works... It's a little bit different than described within all manuals i found:

- Download amavis-0.3.12.tar.gz
- decompress and do a ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
- amavis should detect everything
- make and then make install
- cd /var/qmail/bin
- cp qmail-queue qmail-queue-real
- cp /usr/local/sbin/amavis /var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue
- chmod ogu+xr qmail-queue
- chown qmaild.qmail qmail.queue
- chown -R qmaild.qmail /var/virusmails /var/amavis
- chmod 777 /var/amavis
- restart qmail

everything should work fine now and it is possible to use neary ANY virus scanner! amavis supports many many of them ;)

greets
sascha

you could also install clamav and qmail-scanner packages, they integrate cleanly with PSA's qmail, and it's becoming a kinda "standard" combination.

ART's has nice RPM's to get you going, check his website.

sweeeeet

thank you so very very much for posting this, i have been looking into how to make this happen for quite some time now and every how-to i had found talked about doing it with qmvc which plesk will not work with because of dependancies.

My major complaint about qmail is the fact that since its a "assembly required" MTA. there is to many different combinations of how you might have assembled it and gotten it working.

Postfix on the other hand is going to be uniformly the same every time at the base level which makes modifying or adding stuff to it hundreds of times easier.

I have not drank the cool-aid so i do not believe qmail to be a better choice for any reason and having used it in the past i quit using it because every install could be vastly different than the last one. postfix on the otherhand requires virtually no assembly to get it to work and once its up you can bolt in whatever functionality you want.

Yep that's true, qmail does not bring a lot out of the box. But it's simplicity and configuration scheme is attractive, as is it's security track record.

These days, i use qmail for MX frontends and Postix for backend mail delivery (mainly because ot it's MySQL support). It's a good combination, i use the best of them in both situations.

Originally posted by superbock
you could also install clamav and qmail-scanner packages, they integrate cleanly with PSA's qmail, and it's becoming a kinda "standard" combination.

ART's has nice RPM's to get you going, check his website.

I'm trying to get/build a fast and stable solution for debian. the the rpm's doesn't help me...

what's the url of ART's website? I need a detailed description how to realize it with debian and plesk...

best wishes
Sascha

Back