• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

qmail/Mailman relay issue

A

Andrew Stott

Customer reported that Mailman wasn't delivering to external domains, and I confirmed that "553: sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)" errors were being generated in /var/log/mailman/smtp-failure. It appears that qmail isn't allowing Mailman to relay email to these external domains, although I'm not sure when this behavior started...

To enable relaying from localhost, I added the following to /etc/hosts.allow, with 1.2.3.4 being my server's IP address:

tcp-env: 127.0.0.1 1.2.3.4 : setenv RELAYCLIENT

When I send test emails manually (telnet localhost 25) and send test Mailman postings, however, I still see the relay error from qmail. I tried replacing "tcp-env" in the /etc/hosts.allow config with smtp and qmail-smtpd, and I tried various formatting of the line (commas between the IP addresses, equals sign between "setenv" and "RELAYCLIENT") but no change in the behavior.

My /etc/xinetd.d/smtp_psa looks like this:

service smtp
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
disable = no
user = root
instances = UNLIMITED
env = SMTPAUTH=1 POPAUTH=1 POPLOCK_TIME=30
server = /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
server_args = -Rt0 /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth
/var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true
}

Here are the relevant software versions that we've got installed:
psa-8.6.0-rhel3.build86080722.01
psa-qmail-1.03-rhel3.build86080930.03
psa-qmail-rblsmtpd-0.70-rhel3.build86080722.01
mailman-2.1.5.1-25.rhel3.8
psa-mailman-configurator-8.6.0-rhel3.build86080722.01

Are there other configs I have to do to get qmail (or xinetd) to recognize the /etc/hosts.allow configuration? Any other things I'm missing? Anyone else having this issue?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back