• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

qmail running very slowly

M

mjekovec

We recently purchased Plesk reloaded and installed it on two machines runninng Debian sarge. One dedicated to hosting and the other a dedicated mail server.

Qmail that was installed by Plesk seems extremly slow. I've already installed and configured tcpserver due to inetd problems and raised limits on concurrent connections.

It seems, that the problem lays in preprocessing of the queue as only a few (5 -10) qmail-remote processes get spawned. We have spamassasin and drweb installed and configured for all mailboxes.

Is it normal that this kind of configuration is able to serve 3-5 mails/s on a dual Xeon dual core machines with 2GB RAM (which is not even fully used) and quite cabable RAID disks (var with queue and mailnames is on a separate RAID and the system on another set of drives)

We have around 1000 domains with about 5000 users total, but i cannot currently tell you anything about the number of messages/hour or day

Any answer would be welcomed...

When you say qmail runs slowly, do you mean during smtp? If so, try editing your smtp_psa file and add:

-Rt0 just after the " server_args = "

This will disable reverse lookup here and speed things up considerably for you.

I am not using xinetd, but I included -R -l and similar parameters to the call of tcpserver:

/usr/bin/tcpserver -v -R -l "$LOCAL" -c $MAXSMTPD -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -X \
-u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtps /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true &> /var/log/qmail-smtps.log &

Back