• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

qmail smtp_auth failing

D

DarrenHennessey

Hi

i purchased a new virtual machine because my old one was running out of memory. After migrating all the email files from the old one to the new one, i'm having nothing but headaches trying to get smtp relaying (for users only) working properly.

normally, this is accomplished by using port 587 and TLS, as well as the user's username & password to allow them to send email. Well mine just gives me a "password invalid" prompt and continues to do so even though my password is correct.

The log entry is pretty vague:

2011-05-10T06:47:11.872039-07:00 ip-XX-XX-XXX-XXX smtp_auth: SMTP connect from (null)@hXXX-XX-XX-XX.[domain].com [xxx.xx.xx.xxx]
2011-05-10T06:47:11.872088-07:00 ip-xx-xx-xxx-xxx smtp_auth: smtp_auth: FAILED: [user]@[domain] - password incorrect from (null)@hxxx-xx-xx-xxx.[domain].com [xxx.xx.xx.xxx]

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Usually this errors means that Plesk was not correctly upgraded. Make sure that psa-qmail-rblsmtpd package is correct for your Plesk version and try to reinstall it. You can fing package for your OS and Plesk version here http://64.131.90.31/

Thank you, i'll give that a try and report back here

i re-installed both the packages:

Code:
psa-qmail-1.03
psa-qmail-rblsmtpd

unfortunately, this did not work. It looked promising for a while, but it wiped out my /etc/xinetd.d/{smtp_psa,smtps_psa,submission_psa} files so i had to find them off the internet again and re-instate the mail handlers. Incidentally, this machine was installed from scratch by my service provider, not upgraded.

after that it seemed to work, but it was just more of the same:

Code:
smtp_auth: SMTP connect from (null)@d205-250-105-249.bchsia.telus.net [205.250.105.249]
smtp_auth: smtp_auth: FAILED: <user>@domain.tld - password incorrect from (null)@d205-250-105-249.bchsia.telus.net [205.250.105.249]

In thunderbird i get a cert error for some reason, also:

Code:
An error occurred during a connection to mail.domain.tld:587.

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

now this doesn't seem to mean anything, but i thought i'd share it. The other client's i've tried do not do this, or any kind of cert error other than that it's self signed.

I appreciate the help if someone can shed light on this.

Darren

I think i've narrowed down my problem to something about the /var/qmail/users/ directory.

2 questions:

1. what are the permissions supposed to be on this folder and its contents?

2. is there a way to regenerate these files?

Thanks,

Darren

# stat /var/qmail/users/
File: `/var/qmail/users/'
Size: 4096 Blocks: 8 IO Block: 4096 directory
Device: 22h/34d Inode: 20073225 Links: 2
Access: (0755/drwxr-xr-x) Uid: ( 0/ root) Gid: ( 2520/ qmail)

# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk --with-spam

ok, so i did the following:

Code:
chmod -R 0755 /var/qmail/users
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk --with-spam
service qmail restart

now it's not saying the password failed, but it's still not working

Code:
2011-05-12T05:49:55.530361-07:00 ip-97-74-121-125 smtp_auth: SMTP connect from (null)@d205-250-105-249.bchsia.telus.net [205.250.105.249]
2011-05-12T05:49:55.530374-07:00 ip-97-74-121-125 smtp_auth: smtp_auth: exit 2 at point 9

Thanks for all your help

Woke up this morning to no emails coming in again.

Seems that the /etc/xinetd.d/smtp_psa and smtps_psa files were overritten with something that doesn't actually work again.

So i overwrote them with the ones i know work right (saved them in my root folder this time) and restarted xinetd.

This is very frustrating. I have fixed this problem many times and it seems that something in the system keeps changing these files on me. I have found reference to something called MAPS doing this, but i am unawares to what that is, and why it would be changing my files if i didn't do anything with it.

Please help, i'm starting to go insane here :(

Darren

Hello Darren,
My turn to go insane with that problem.
I have got EXACTLY the same problem than you had few month ago, and I've done all issues found in your message and elsewhere but still can't resolve it.
My smtp_psa files are empty (but they weren't) and the message is still the same :
"qmail-queue-handlers[xxxxx]: Unable to change group ID: Operation not permitted"

If by chance you've resolve your problem, please, could you let me know what you've done for it ?
I really thank you in advance,

Best Regards,
Stéphane

Back