• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Question about configuring a mail server

LaurentR2D2

Plesk Certified Professional
Plesk Certified Professional
Server operating system version
Debian 11.7
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.52
Hello,
I have several domains with mail activated, and I would like to know if my configuration is correct :
The server host name is myserver.com. I use it for SMTP/IMAP configuration in the mail softwares. In each domain DNS I have something like this :

TXT field for SPF ;
adomain.info TXT v=spf1 +a +mx +a:myserver.com ~all

For DKIM/DMARC the following TXT fields
_domainkey.adomain.info.
default._domainkey.adomain.info.
_dmarc.adomain.info.

For MX :
adomain.info. MX(10) mail.adomain.info

webmain.adomain.info. A ip_of_the_server

Thank you

Looks good to me. This should work fine. Is anything not working?
I've tried twice, around two hours ago, and then some minutes ago, to send an email from one of the domains email address to my gmail address, and it fails. I receive nothing, and the sender receives no error or warning message.

Could be something else. Domain age, reputation, DNS record propagation, and other things can cause this. More information would be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

If your domain is, let's say, example.com, go to Tools & Settings > SSH Terminal and type grep example /var/log/maillog and post the output here. Something should be logged.

Also, if you can share the actual domain name, I can look at it and make sure the DNS records are propagating properly.

Could be something else. Domain age, reputation, DNS record propagation, and other things can cause this. More information would be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

If your domain is, let's say, example.com, go to Tools & Settings > SSH Terminal and type grep example /var/log/maillog and post the output here. Something should be logged.

Also, if you can share the actual domain name, I can look at it and make sure the DNS records are propagating properly.
Domain is alafolie.info

The maillog is very long, so I attach it in a zip file.

Attachments

• journal-alafolie.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for attaching a ZIP file. Much tidier that way. There's a problem though. I looked through the logs and there's nothing about the Gmail address.
Is that it, or did you leave something out? Even if there's no error, the outgoing email should be there.

Thanks for attaching a ZIP file. Much tidier that way. There's a problem though. I looked through the logs and there's nothing about the Gmail address.
Is that it, or did you leave something out? Even if there's no error, the outgoing email should be there.
Yesterday I didn't notice that SMTP was not set on my server, but on my ISP. Using my ISP SMTP works, but the mail ends up in the Gmail spam folder. I've made a new test today using my server for SMTP, but I end up with a Relay access denied error. It's strange, since I've tried to send a mail with another domain email hosted on my server and same SMTP settings, and I didn't get this error. The mail has arrived correctly in my Gmail inbox.

Attachments

• journal-alafolie-10-06-2023.zip
    2 KB · Views: 2
Yes, I see it now. This could be corrupt mail config. Try running a repair on the site:
Code:
plesk repair mail -y alafolie.info
Let me know how it goes.

Yes, I see it now. This could be corrupt mail config. Try running a repair on the site:
Code:
plesk repair mail -y alafolie.info
Let me know how it goes.
Which one is the good plesk command ?
/sbin/plesk
/usr/sbin/plesk

I'm on Debian, logged as root in a terminal, and none of these path are in $PATH. I can't use the SSH Terminal from Tools and settings, since I've been told it was unsafe to permit root login in the sshd config file.

It's /usr/sbin/plesk. You can also run it from Tools & Settings > Diagnose & Repair > Mail

It's /usr/sbin/plesk. You can also run it from Tools & Settings > Diagnose & Repair > Mail
Done. The diagnostic didn't notice any problem. I've run the Repair tool anyway, just in case, but the error still occurs.

Attachments

• journal-alafolie-repare.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 2
Then I don't know what it is. Can't think of anything else, considering it worked for another domain.

Back