• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question about php.ini

J

jdiehl

From my understanding of Plesk, it is possible to change the global php.ini for the system. But the recommended method is to utilize the vhosts.conf file, because I believe that it's been said that if you edit the global php.ini for the system and then update Plesk that your php.ini file will be overwritten with the default for Plesk.

The situation I have is that we have a customer that wants to install ioncube within the php.ini for speed and the fact that it would then work for all domains on the same VPS container. But if it's just going to get wiped out from a Plesk update down the road, this probably wouldn't be a good plan.

I know that you can place information in the vhosts.conf file, but that only works on a per domain basis.

How do we make changes to the php.ini file so that it affects the global installation without the chances of being overwritten in the future.

You can always put your settings in a custom.ini file located in /etc/php.d - most settings will be fine in php.ini since psa wont touch it often - just on installation, upgrade, etc.

Good idea, don't know why I didn't think of that earlier, so used to dedicated servers and just editing the files I need. The main reason I want to make sure it stays separate is because I know that php.ini is 'rarely' touched, my worry is changing something and then 'rarely' pops up 2 years from now and I can't remember what I did which just leads to longer down time. Want to be as proactively setting things up 'properly' as possible

Well, if you have access to /etc/php.ini, you also have access to /etc/php.ini.bkp-date. This way Plesk can overwrite php.ini as much as it wants.

Back