• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question about Second IP for NS2 on a domain

Kain

New Pleskian
I run a vultr server with plesk. As some of you know Vultr comes with 1 default IP. I purchased a second one and after a whole lot of looking up and trying got that second one configured in ubuntu.

Now I installed plesk and I do see the second IP in tools&resources>IP Addresses.

Now when I add a new website the DNS setting only show the first IP.

Do I need to edit the default IP for NS2 to the second IP and do I have to change/add anything else?

Thanks.

@Kain,

I am not sure what you try to achieve, but if you are trying to set up nameservers (with Plesk as a primary nameserver) with two IPs, that would not make sense at all: if the server goes down, it is unreachable and so are the nameservers, irregardless of the question whether you use one or two IPs.

If you are trying to activate the second IP, it would suffice to go to "Tools & Settings > IP addresses > Re-Read".

If you are trying to assign multiple IPs to one server, in order to have DNS records for various domains pointing to different IPs, just

- assign the (additional) IP to the server (and make sure that it is working and pointing to your server), (and)
- assign the (additional) IP to a specific domain at creation time or afterwards (via Hosting Settings, if I am not mistaken)

and there is no need to change settings for nameservers in this scenario.

In general, I would recommend to have your nameservers hosted at the registrar (read: almost every proper registrar provides the service of free DNS management, with DNS managed via their own stable and very reliable nameserver systems) and to manage DNS records outside the Plesk instance: just point DNS to the Plesk instance and you are always fine, even in the case that some minor disruption of services occurs on your Plesk instance.

Hope the above helps a bit, otherwise...... please rephrase the actual question.

Regards...........

@Kain,

I am not sure what you try to achieve, but if you are trying to set up nameservers (with Plesk as a primary nameserver) with two IPs, that would not make sense at all: if the server goes down, it is unreachable and so are the nameservers, irregardless of the question whether you use one or two IPs.

If you are trying to activate the second IP, it would suffice to go to "Tools & Settings > IP addresses > Re-Read".

If you are trying to assign multiple IPs to one server, in order to have DNS records for various domains pointing to different IPs, just

- assign the (additional) IP to the server (and make sure that it is working and pointing to your server), (and)
- assign the (additional) IP to a specific domain at creation time or afterwards (via Hosting Settings, if I am not mistaken)

In general, I would recommend to have your nameservers hosted at the registrar (read: almost every proper registrar provides the service of free DNS management, with DNS managed via their own stable and very reliable nameserver systems) and to manage DNS records outside the Plesk instance: just point DNS to the Plesk instance and you are always fine, even in the case that some minor disruption of services occurs on your Plesk instance.

Hope the above helps a bit, otherwise...... please rephrase the actual question.

Regards...........
Well, in my country at the registrar I can't just add just 1 NS but I can't add NS1 and NS2 with the same IP so I added a new IP to the Vultr server.

After that I installed Plesk. In the IP section both IP's show up.

Then I added a website and looks at the DNS records plesk made and it configured the A record for NS1 and NS2 with the same IP and that doesn't work at the registrar.

@Kain,

There are two important things to notice here:

1 - you do not have to change nameservers at your registrar: in essence, the registrar uses

ns1.[nameserver].[tld]
ns2.[nameserver].[tld]
ns3.[nameserver].[tld]

and that simply means that all DNS records are handled by a primary, secondary, tertiairy (and so on) nameserver infrastructure, hosted and managed by the registrar.

Changing the values of the nameservers at your registrar would be simply equivalent to running your own nameservers, which is not recommended, since the registrar often (but not always) has a redundant, reliable, stable and fast nameserver infrastructure that you personnally never can replicate.

2 - Plesk can be the primary nameserver, but that is not strictly necessary.

In the case that you will change the nameservers at your registrar and point the NS records to your server hosting the Plesk instance, then you are - as explained in point a - running your own nameservers, which is really not recommended for various obvious reasons.

In the case that you do NOT change the nameservers at your registrar and manage all DNS records at the registrar, then

- the nameserver entries - as present in the Plesk instance- can be virtually anything: the values do not matter, since the nameservers are at the registrar
- DNS records (managed at your registrar) can point to the server hosting your Plesk instance, with Plesk taking care of proper routing of traffic

and you can imagine by now that it is not necessary to configure DNS records or nameserver records, if (and only if) all DNS management is done at the registrar.

In short, make life a little bit more easy for yourself: use the infrastructure of the registrar.

I would certainly recommend that you use the DNS management facilities at the registrar, if you are not yet fully knowledgeable about DNS.

Please note that there are many other setups of DNS that might work just as good, but it is beyond the scope of this topic thread and/or these setups are advanced and hence not very suitable for anyone who lacks sufficient knowledge about DNS.

Hope the above explains and helps a (tiny) bit.

Regards..........

I don't wan't to insult you but how can I make it easier if what you are saying makes absolutely no sense to me?

I got a vultr server with plesk. It runs on a domain at namesilo on vultr nameservers.

Now I got a domain in my country, so added that domain-website into plesk and yeah on default the nameservers at my registrar uses their nameservers but what use is that to me? Do I need to change their A records to my IP's.

Plesk makes ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com automatically when you add a website so if I change the A record of the registrar nameserver and hook em to my IP's, do I need to delete the ns1.mydomain.com and ns2 from the DNS settings of the choosen website in Websites & Domains>DNS settings?

@Kain,

To keep it simple:

Do I need to change their A records to my IP's.

Yes, use the DNS management at the registrar and point A (or other types of DNS) records to your current Plesk server.

Plesk makes ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com automatically when you add a website so if I change the A record of the registrar nameserver and hook em to my IP's

No, no need to do so, if you declare DNS records at the level of the registrar.

do I need to delete the ns1.mydomain.com and ns2 from the DNS settings of the choosen website in Websites & Domains>DNS settings?

No, you should never do that.

Regards........

@Kain,

To keep it simple:

Yes, use the DNS management at the registrar and point A (or other types of DNS) records to your current Plesk server.

No, no need to do so, if you declare DNS records at the level of the registrar.

No, you should never do that.

Regards........
Ok thank you. So whatever Plesk puts in the DNS settings when you add a website just leave it as is then right?

Was in the chat with my registrar and they changed it to this:
Hope it's set right now. I really need to make some extra money so I can switch back to managed hosting lol

Attachments

• index.png
    index.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 21
@Kain,

Just send me a private message, it might be the case that we can help you with some solution that suits your budget and saves you some money.

If that would enable you to proceed with Plesk (without the additional workload of managing a lot of stuff), that would be great...... it will give you some time to "learn" Plesk and build your business model, so you can do it yourself in the long run (which is the obvious goal).

Regards.....

Ok thank you. So whatever Plesk puts in the DNS settings when you add a website just leave it as is then right?

Was in the chat with my registrar and they changed it to this:
Hope it's set right now. I really need to make some extra money so I can switch back to managed hosting lol
Sorry, currently no budgets available otherwise I would have taken a different path, soon those problems will be over but till then it's on me and helpful people on the internet like you.

Ok I got it connected, anything weird besides the Dmac.

Attachments

• index2.png
    index2.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 16
@Kain,

Regards...........
like that idea, but what happen when you have a shared hosting company? what you recommend ? right now im using example route 53 for my main domain xx.net i configured own dns like ns1.xx.net and ns2.xx.net for plesk, i got like 500 domains, all of them have ns1.xx.net ns2.xx.net, what should i use instead? to not use ns in plesk and only go to each of 500 domains to the domain registrar panel and change the respective A records?

There's no point essentially of having two IPs if NS1 and NS2 are both resolving to the same server - You might as well just use a single IP and point both NS1 and NS2 to it.

Since you're already using R53, one option would be to setup the plugin; Amazon Route 53 - that would allow you to use AWS nameservers for each of your domains.

You could, if you wanted to take it a step further - setup white labeled AWS DNS; Configuring white-label name servers - Amazon Route 53

There's no point essentially of having two IPs if NS1 and NS2 are both resolving to the same server - You might as well just use a single IP and point both NS1 and NS2 to it.

Since you're already using R53, one option would be to setup the plugin; Amazon Route 53 - that would allow you to use AWS nameservers for each of your domains.

You could, if you wanted to take it a step further - setup white labeled AWS DNS; Configuring white-label name servers - Amazon Route 53
but with route 53 will be expensive for each domain amazon will charge me and per request

Back