• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question to cron.daily

Azurel

Silver Pleskian
Hi,

Every night between 03:00-04:00 my CPU load is for ~1h 2x so high as in prime time(visitors). Its the daily cron. Thats my first private Server, so I have few little questions:

1. Its normal that the cronjob working for ~1 hour?

2. I use for all my private domains "Awstats", why is here a enabled cron "00webalizer" for creating stats for "Webalizer"? Is this not a waste of ressources? My access_log's are zipped over 200MB daily. So its must daily create stats for Awstats and Webalizer? Plesk11.5 not disable this cron? Can I comment out lines in "etc/cron.daily/00webalizer"? For saving performance?

3. I have "etc/cron.daily/makewhatis.cron" Need this much performance? Is this for "man"? I don't use this.

About an answer I would be happy :)

Hi Azurel,

While the webalizer entry is in cron if it isn't enabled on any sites then it won't do any work and will only take a fraction of a second to run.

With your other sites, if you are producing 200MB of compressed logs daily then it will take a while to run! An hour does not seem unreasonable. As this runs during a quiet time for visitors to your site then it shouldn't be an issue for you. Personally I do not activate this on any of my sites but push new logs down to a local server daily and process and view them on there to save high loads on the production server.

So to answer your questions!

1. Yes, that sounds normal for the amount of logs you are processing.

2. The cron for webalizer is in there in case you choose it as the stats analyzer for any of the sites on that machine, if you don't select webalizer then it will run in a second or two and it is not worth disabling it in my opinion as it will not save you any server resource in doing so.

3. Makewhatis - not looked into this before but it updated the man pages by the looks of it so, while you don't think you need it, you really do :eek:) Again, processing power to run this will be non-existent so don't worry about disabling it.

Chubba

Back