• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Rejecting mail to nonexistent users

C

chuckmelanson

We just received our latest plesk 7.5.1 server (we've been running 6.5 for awhile) and we've been examining patches for qmail for rejecting mail to non-existent rcpt's.

I've also just read the latest release notes for Plesk that say that this functionality is available, but neither myself nor our mail-admins can seem to find the checkbox in the Plesk interface to enable it; nor can we find anything on Google to suggest a "how do i setup xyz" for the rejection of email to invalid recepients.

We get about 10k spam a day of wardailing various recipients across our domains, this would be a lifesaver if we could find the checkbox!

Anyone out there with a PDF/Doc/Howto/Screencap?

Thx.
Chuck
[email protected]

You have to go into each domain email setting and it's in there ..

No, there is no "global" setting or "Serverwide" setting for reject emails .. need to be set for each domains ..

Bill

Bill,

This is exactly what we've been looking for. Too bad we were always looking at it from a "global" side. (I think we had an aversion to going into 150 domains and clicking checkboxes).

Thanks for your quick response.

Chuck.

Great feature!

After activating the reject feature for the domains I went from 7865 messages in the queue to 36. This is something that will reduce the load!

Its a shame I can't upgrade one of our older mail platforms, it *always* has 7000+ in the queue. It's to the point that I have TCL scripts running every 30 minutes to shut down qmail and do a 'qmail-remove <insert fav spam subject line here>', then start it back up.

<sigh>

Does the "rejection" happen prior to qmail -scanner processing the email? I'm currently dumping on the improperly addressed mail to a black hole, but it has to still be processed by SpamAssassin first (Plesk 6.0)...I'm considering this as the single thing that would tempt me to upgrade from my current "got all the bugs worked out" system....

Gottawonder

Just a bit of a time-saver to point out... instead of going domain-to-domain and making the changes, use the "Group settings" in the domain listing... place a tickmark next to all domains, then click on the "Group" link right above the list... it will let you make the changes to all the domains at once... mind you, it may take a few minutes for the page to run once you are done, but it's still a Hell of a lot faster than going one by one, and easier than working out the SQL syntax.

Excellent suggestion. This has drastically reduced our server load in processing wasted emails.

Sorry for newbie question, but how do you monitor que size?

RIch

Back