• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

require server authentication?

R

rossgile

I would like to have my hosting clients on my Plesk 7.5 box be required to check "Allow for Server Authentication" when setting up their e-mail clients.

I heard making this required makes my server more secured. Is that true?

- rg

If you are referring to SMTP authentication, then yes it would be better than not having it turned on.

Login to Plesk control panel as admin. Click on Server. Click on Mail. Select "authorization is required" Put a checkmark for 'SMTP', remove any checkmark for 'POP3'

It is also 'safer' to select "Only use of full POP3/IMAP mail accounts names is allowed", then instead of being able to login as 'joe' they need to setup their email clients to login as '[email protected]'.

Also 'safer' to select "Check the passwords for mailboxes in the dictionary" which will help in preventing people from using simple passwords, like using their own username as the password.

Back