• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Restore Backup

Martin_Sauer

Regular Pleskian
I am close to reinstall my server due to hardware issues. Several questions came up:

Situation
1. I do full backups: all configuration and content
2. despite 1. backup tells me it failed to backup a database, which belonged to a wordpress installation, where I changed the database manually.
3. System opensuse 13.1 on 64Bit with current plesk (12.0.18)

Questions
A. despite 2. (the non-existant database), is the rest still backuped?
B. does the backup manager backup all databases, including those I created manually (not assigned to any customer/reseller/subscription)? If not, how do I assign manually created databases to a subscription and/or customer? Considering its installed as a Wordpress App, how do I add those to the WP-application after adding to the subscription/customer?
C. How do I delete locked database entries (assigned to a WP-install, where I deleted the db) in the database vault?

TIA

Found the answer to B. and C. myself still any statement on A. would be kewl:

answer B.: no, apparently dbs not registered in plesk in mysql are not backuped. To assign the db, I export the db, delete the associated user and create a new db via Plesk (either in DB manager or as application eg. WP application). Then import the mysqldump. By creating the db in Plesk as a database or via an application, the db is registered in Plesk and thus also in the backups from then on.

answer C.: backup the db and the application (WP this case), delete the application (which includes the db by Plesk) and then create the same application again, restore files and restore the old db-dump to the new db.

Note to self: dbs created outside Plesk are plain non-existant to Plesk.

Apart from all the backup possibilties from Plesk, check out http://www.mysqldumper.net/ for easy backups of all databases on your server. It is easy to configure, has plenty of options and is very fast to install.

Apart from all the backup possibilties from Plesk, check out http://www.mysqldumper.net/ for easy backups of all databases on your server. It is easy to configure, has plenty of options and is very fast to install.

Holla thank you.

I actually do have my own server and sufficient storage space, as well as my own longterm tested mysql-backup script (while using Crashplan to backup offsite).

What interests me most:
1. A backup to reliably restore the databases and applications into plesk (I have nightmares thinking about creating scripts to manage my webspace for 100+ Website and 40+ customers)
2. Curious in others experience on how reliable Plesk is for backups (including the MariaDB). Or in other words: does Plesk really make a full dump of all dbs attached to Plesk? (right now am even vary of testing it)

By now the only question that bothers me still: Anyone got any experience on how reliable the backup restore under Plesk is? (Focused on Customers/Subscriptions and esspecially mysql DBs of customers/subscriptions listed in Plesk).

Additional question: backups from Plesk on OpenSuSE 13.1 can be restored to Plesk on CentOS?

Answer after 24+ hours of support by Parallels: a full restore of Plesk is from my perception 100% unreliable.

Just dont rely on it - make your own.

Back