• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

restoring after crash

S

swebs

Are there any directions anywhere on restoring after a crash from raw files.

Im running Plesk 7.5 and had a disk crash. I never did a psadump.

I was able to mount the old hard drive and pull all the mysql files and all the plesk files from /usr/local/psa

I know I can just drop all the mysql files in the /var/lib/mysql direction and start mysql up for it to grab all the database but I was wondering if there were other files that might need to be updated or any tricks/tips that anyone else could throw my way.

I'll be doing a psadumps nightly from now on :)

Thanks in advance

I would just try to "upgrade" plesk after restoring all the data. If there's a newer version available, then just do a normal upgrade. If you already have the latest, you could download the install files, and force upgrade all of the RPM's. This will make sure that plesk rebuilds anything it needs to run.

Aside from plesk itself, make sure you got all your user data (/home, passwd, shadow, & group s files, etc)

yeah, I tar'd everything in /etc just in case as well.

So do you think there is a special order to restore stuff?

should I just restore the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow or should I just copy specific things out of them?

Theoretically, if your OS image is the same, and you are on the same hardware, you should be able to just copy the raw files over and be done with it. What I would do (assuming you've verified that there wont be a problem with overlapping uid's/gid's) is copy over passwd, shadow, & group files. Copy over /home. Try to login as a user that actually has shell access, to verify the password/env works.

Then start actually restoring the plesk data. You definitely need more than just /usr/local/psa to get plesk and everything it controls running. For starters, you'll need all of the init scripts, /var/qmail, /var/named. You also need the config files in etc for things like named. Once you think things are running, do the plesk upgrade manually, to try and get it to fix all the stuff you borked.

Good luck!

Back