• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Restoring Plesk Onyx Wordpress website

IATechsupport

Basic Pleskian
We have a virtuozzo container with Plesk Onyx, and are trying to restore a wordpress installation.
There are multiple container backups of of everything.

I remove or rename the websites root folder and rename any databases before I restore the site and databases.
Normally this works fine and never had any problems in the past doing it this way.

On this site, its seems not to work. After being restored the site loses its css styling and links do not work.

Why is the restored site now not working?
I have go though this process 5 times with different backups of what was a working site.

Hi IATechsupport,

pls. note, that restoring a backup does overwrite existing files and folders, but will never change the existing permissions. To repair ( possible ) misconfiguration, you could consider to use the Plesk Repair Utility ( => Plesk Repair Utility ) for example.
In addition, it is always a good idea to make backups of ".htaccess" - files and additional nginx directives.

Why is the restored site now not working?
Actually, we are not able to reproduce such an issue/error/problem, as we have no clue about your (sub)domain - specific settings and configurations, but it could help to include the (sub)domain - specific webserver - log - files and the corresponding configuration files in order to be able to investigate your issues/errors/problems. :)

Am I missing something here, surely restoring everything should put a site back to its original configuration?
And not leave it in a broken state

Could you please be more precise what "links do not work" means to you? Is that when you click on a link in a browser? Did the site have SSL and is is running https:// Is the certificate in place?

We have the site working agian now, there was a problem with the .htaccess file and a plugin "W3TC minify" rewriting urls. Even though the plugin had been removed.

But my question still remains, when the site was backed up it was working perfectly and for some time, after a restore it was not?

In this case it is clearly a cache issue. If you restore a W3 Total Cache site, you must clear the cache afterwards, because the software might expect files in the cache that have not been backed up. They have normally not been backed up, because between the time when the site's file and directory structure is recorded during the backup process and the actually tar process files can change. This is frequently the case for temporary cache files. The cache temporary files backed up are not the ones needed to run the site after restore, but the solution is simply to delete the cache and let W3 Total Cache rebuild it.

Back