• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Reverse DNS not matching - so confused

EmperorFPI

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Rocky Linux 8.8 (Green Obsidian)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.56
Any site using email set up is having deliverability issues. How does one go about setting this up so that a client email comes from the client domain. I've already check the box for that setting in the "mail server setting" and it didn't change anything.

Your IP address xx.xxx.xxx.xxx is associated with the domain domainname#1.com. (main domain and Hostname is ice1.domainname#1.com)
Nevertheless your message appears to be sent from clientsiteemail.com.
You may want to publish a pointer (PTR type) DNS record with a value of clientsiteemail.com or use domainname#1.com as hostname in your mail software

Here are the tested values for this check:
  • IP: 82.165.210.177
  • HELO: clientsiteemail.com
  • rDNS: domainname#1.com

What's configured in the Postfix main.cf file for the myhostname paramater?

Other then that, the rDNS should point to your server hostname. Which in your example should be ice1.domainname#1.com.

"Tools & Settings" > "Mail" > "Mail Server Settings"

should be set to "Send from domain IP addresses". Is that the case?

1698565660418.png

Did you manage to solve your issue? For me setting outgoing mail mode to "send from domain IP addresses", changes the HELO banner from the client domain to an old temporary-domain the package once used to have "xxxxxx.89-116-52-173.plesk.page" (must be a bug?).

I just want to change the HELO banner to spit out the hostname for every domain on the server, that would solve the issue. Or would this be considered bad pracktice?

@Peter Debik Thanks for the reply. I managed to solve my issue.

In the postfix config file (/etc/postfix/main.cf), all the way at the bottom, there was a hostname parameter set to an old (temporary) hostname "xxxxxx.89-116-52-173.plesk.page". Once I changed this to the actual hostname, my problem was solved.

Why Plesk didn't overwrite this parameter once the hostname was changed in the UI, I don't know. I would consider this a bug.

If the parameter is not maintained by Plesk it will not be overwritten. There is lots of stuff that can be configured in the Postfix configuration file that cannot be configured by Plesk, so Plesk does not change these settings.

Yes that would be the preferred method of handeling things. I didn't touch the Postfix config however and this is a fresh install, Plesk made the initial changes and didn't correct afterwards.

Back