• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Resolved RootLogin in SSH other than port22

JuanCar

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Almalinux 9.4
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62 #1
Hi.
I just migrated my Plesk from Centos to AlmaLinux 9
I had root access to ssh.
I changed port number, and setup Firewall to allow the new port.
But I cannot access using root.
When I try ssh access I get this answer: The remote system refused the connection
I created a new user with ssh access right (allowusers root sshuser), with this user I can access by ssh to the server and switch to root when logged.
I wonder why I can't access ssh as root using another port different of 22
Any idea?

Check SSH Configuration File:

Edit your SSH configuration file to ensure it allows root login on the new port.
#sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Verify the following settings:
Port <new_port_number>
PermitRootLogin yes
AllowUsers root sshuser

After making changes to the SSH configuration file, restart the SSH service;
sudo systemctl restart sshd

Hope this helps!

It's also worth checking if there is no other firewall application running (firewalld being the most common).

Check SSH Configuration File:

Edit your SSH configuration file to ensure it allows root login on the new port.
#sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Verify the following settings:
Port <new_port_number>
PermitRootLogin yes
AllowUsers root sshuser

After making changes to the SSH configuration file, restart the SSH service;
sudo systemctl restart sshd

Hope this helps!
I followed all these steps, of course. But the problem is that if I set port to 22 root access is allowed, but when I set another port root access are forbidden. Of course the port is open, an so I can access with another user.
I cannot see any other firewall.
I have Selinux in my system, but I set it to permissive, so it doesn't affect.

I followed all these steps, of course. But the problem is that if I set port to 22 root access is allowed, but when I set another port root access are forbidden. Of course the port is open, an so I can access with another user.
I cannot see any other firewall.
I have Selinux in my system, but I set it to permissive, so it doesn't affect.
If SELinux is enabled, you might need to configure it to allow SSH on the new port:

#sudo semanage port -a -t ssh_port_t -p tcp <new_port_number>
#sudo semanage port -l | grep ssh

Check SSH logs for any errors:

sudo tail -f /var/log/secure
ssh -p <new_port_number> root@<server_ip>

Ensure the SSH daemon is listening on the new port. You can check this with:

#sudo netstat -tuln | grep <new_port_number>

If SELinux is enabled, you might need to configure it to allow SSH on the new port:

#sudo semanage port -a -t ssh_port_t -p tcp <new_port_number>
#sudo semanage port -l | grep ssh

Check SSH logs for any errors:

sudo tail -f /var/log/secure
ssh -p <new_port_number> root@<server_ip>

Ensure the SSH daemon is listening on the new port. You can check this with:

#sudo netstat -tuln | grep <new_port_number>
I can use the new port with a non-root user but not with root. Ports are not the problem, the problem is that root can access if I use port 22 but not if I use any other port.
And SElinux is deactivated with setenforce 0. And logs secure o messages doesn't contain any info about the root access denied. So I think SElinux is not the issue.

The error message is suspicious, though. The remote system refused the connection usually means that the connection itself is already failing, and at that point the server has no way to know you want to login as root, so it shouldn't be able to deny you based on that. Are you absolutely sure you didn't fumble the port number in your ssh client config/commandline for the root login attempt?

Solved: I'm silly, very, very, very silly
The mistake was in my side. I was using an script to connect (with default port 22), but I was setting port config in another one.
Thanks

Back