• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Roundcube - SMTP 535 error - Plesk 17.8.11 #2

Thank you @IgorG, but I'm not sure if this is the same issue.
What I did next was switching to QMail and everything works. After switching back to Postfix, noting was working. I wasn't able to login via Roundcube to my mailbox, but also via other mail clients like Outlook or Thunderbird, before switching the only problem was with sending emails via Roundcube.
BTW: I'm using CentoOS 6.9

Have you tried to use

# plesk repair mail

for re-building mailserver settings?

BTW: I'm using CentoOS 6.9
The problem in that Roundcube doesn't work on default PHP5.3.3 in CentOS 6.9. We have special bugreport PPS-3137 regarding this issue.
The workaround is creation custom webmail template where PHP switched from system to PHP7.2 from Plesk:

# mkdir -p /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/templates/custom/webmail
# cp /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/templates/default/webmail/roundcube.php /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/templates/custom/webmail/
# vi /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/templates/custom/webmail/roundcube.php

and change line

FcgidInitialEnv PP_CUSTOM_PHP_CGI_INDEX fastcgi

To

FcgidInitialEnv PP_CUSTOM_PHP_CGI_INDEX plesk-php72-fastcgi

After that re-generate webserver setting with

# /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/httpdmng --reconfigure-all

or for the particular domain

# /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/httpdmng --reconfigure-domain domain.com

Thank You @IgorG, unfortunately after doing all that you suggested the main issue is still present. When I try to send an email via Roundcube I'm getting error "Error SMTP (535)"

In maillog I see this:

Mar 27 00:55:58 host postfix/smtpd[31776]: connect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
Mar 27 00:55:58 host postfix/smtpd[31776]: warning: localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed: encryption needed to use mechanism
Mar 27 00:55:58 host postfix/smtpd[31776]: disconnect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]

So in /urs/share/psa-roundcube/config/config.inc.php I added:
config['smtp_auth_type'] = '';
and I think it's working now.

Last edited:
Thank You @IgorG, unfortunately after doing all that you suggested the main issue is still present. When I try to send an email via Roundcube I'm getting error "Error SMTP (535)"

In maillog I see this:

Mar 27 00:55:58 host postfix/smtpd[31776]: connect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
Mar 27 00:55:58 host postfix/smtpd[31776]: warning: localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed: encryption needed to use mechanism
Mar 27 00:55:58 host postfix/smtpd[31776]: disconnect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]

So in /urs/share/psa-roundcube/config/config.inc.php I added:
and I think it's working now.

Solved!

just updated plesk and had rouncube to update and updated again fails to send email through webmail ...

I put the file again: $ config ['smtp_auth_type'] = '';

and problem solved!

when plesk solved this?

just updated plesk and had rouncube to update and updated again fails to send email through webmail ...

I put the file again: $ config ['smtp_auth_type'] = '';

and problem solved!

when plesk solved this?

Hello David82,
I do not speak english very well but I have the same problem when I want to send an email from Roundcube: error 535.
I read that you have to replace the file [config ['smtp_auth_type'] = ''] but can you please specify?
Thank you very much for detailing the procedure for replacing this file.
Best regard.
Fabien.

Hello David82,
I do not speak english very well but I have the same problem when I want to send an email from Roundcube: error 535.
I read that you have to replace the file [config ['smtp_auth_type'] = ''] but can you please specify?
Thank you very much for detailing the procedure for replacing this file.
Best regard.
Fabien.

You have to enter:
/urs/share/psa-roundcube/config/config.inc.php

and add below the whole in the file: config['smtp_auth_type'] = '';

I do not speak English either, I'm Spanish.

You have to enter:
/urs/share/psa-roundcube/config/config.inc.php

and add below the whole in the file: config['smtp_auth_type'] = '';

I do not speak English either, I'm Spanish.

Hi David82, thanks for your answer.
I enter the command "/urs/share/psa-roundcube/config/config.inc.php" in SSH and in response: "No such file or directory". Maybe it's not the right method.
Thanks for your help.
Fabien.

Hi David82, thanks for your answer.
I enter the command "/urs/share/psa-roundcube/config/config.inc.php" in SSH and in response: "No such file or directory". Maybe it's not the right method.
Thanks for your help.
Fabien.

they do not have to enter by ssh command with path. root server: /urs/share/psa-roundcube/config/config.inc.php

but follow the path in your files by shh and edit the file with an editor.

CORRECTION: the path is /usr/share/psa-roundcube/config/config.inc.php NOT /urs/share/psa-roundcube/config/config.inc.php

Another update, another time i have to put the line. Why is not this fixed by Plesk? It keeps breaking Roundcube connectivity.

Another update, another time i have to put the line. Why is not this fixed by Plesk? It keeps breaking Roundcube connectivity.

hello with the new roundcube update has already solved the problem, everything works without problems.

I am having same issue in Plesk Obsidian any help?
There have been several issues described in this thread, on several different OS versions. Could you please tell us your OS version, Plesk version and describe the issue exactly?

Also, have you attempted any of the solutions mentioned before and what was the result?

There have been several issues described in this thread, on several different OS versions. Could you please tell us your OS version, Plesk version and describe the issue exactly?

Also, have you attempted any of the solutions mentioned before and what was the result?

This is the system config:
Plesk Obsidian (Version 18.0.21 Update #3)
CentOS 6.10 (Final)‬

I have tried some fixes mentioned on the forum but none of them worked like:
1) Setting this in config
$config['smtp_auth_type'] = '';

2) Tried this fix also

Please help

Back