• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Running multiple Services in one Server / Plesk or not?

Minato

New Pleskian
Hey there,

I want to host my own instance of Nextcloud for backup purposes on a rented server and since I would also like to host a small website I am thinking about renting a VPS for this purpose. I am familiar with Linux as my daily driver and I am aware that I have to learn about securing the server by myself, since I am responsible in this scenario https://trackeasy.fun/usps/ https://showbox.tools/.

First question: Is it a security threat to run both services on the same server or is it okay to do so (given that the server is properly configured and hardened?)

Second question: The provider where I would rent the VPS offers a Plesk License. Would you recommend using it or is it better to do everything manually (especially for learning how everything works)?

Please excuse if I used wrong terms, english is not my native language.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
First question: Is it a security threat to run both services on the same server or is it okay to do so (given that the server is properly configured and hardened?)
Is it less secure? Technically yes, because if one application is breached the attacker could potentially access your other applications. This can be properly mitigated by permissions/ACLs, but you've always got the chance of a zero-day.

Is there a tangible security threat? Not particularly, as long as they're secured properly.
Second question: The provider where I would rent the VPS offers a Plesk License. Would you recommend using it or is it better to do everything manually (especially for learning how everything works)?
If you need a panel to help you manage the servers/files and perform some basic tasks, sure. That's up to you.

Back