• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Safely update Plesk from Onyx to Obsidian

SergioP122

New Pleskian
Hi there. We have a server with Plesk installed. The problem is that it is starting to give updates errors and performance issues
because the software is obsolete.

I'm starting to receive a daily log that says that the installation of Plesk updates failed. I get this error on update logs:
ERROR: Failed to install or upgrade the extension 'Plesk Migrator' (package: panel-migrator):
Error in cURL request: SSL certificate problem: certificate has expired

I've read on other posts and It seems that this occurs because of obsolete packages on the system.

We have Plesk Onyx & Ubuntu 16.04 that holds among other things, a Moodle instance & a WebApp instance.

I tried to update to Plesk obsidian using the installer but the option to upgrade is disabled. I guess that this is because
we're using an old & out-of-date OS (Ubuntu 16.04).

I'm afraid that if I upgrade to a newer OS version. (Ubuntu 20.04 for example), things will start malfunctioning. We cannot
allow that because we're running production environments that cannot stop working.

In this scenario, I'm searching for a solution. I would like to know if there is a way to safely upgrade the entire OS to 20.04 & Plesk to Obsidian without risk.

Another solution that I'm thinking of is to create a new fresh server with everything updated and then make a restoration of a Plesk Backup from the Old server.

What I'm not sure about is if Backups are compatible from Plesk Onyx (17.8.11) to a recent version of Plesk Obsidian.
And also I'm concerned about conflicts between domain names and this kind of stuff.

I'm a little bit lost here, Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Back