• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question SElinux breaks Qmail in upgrade to Onyx

southy

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

I have a machine, originally Plesk 12.5 on CentOS 7.
All was working fine.

Yesterday I upgraded to Onyx via the web-upgrade-Tool.

Today qmail won't accept SMTP connections any more:

# telnet localhost 25
Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

As all deamons seemed to be running fine, I checked SELinux:

/var/log/audit/audit.log
type=AVC msg=audit(1481709881.072:958): avc: denied { write } for pid=3482 comm="qmail-queue" path="pipe:[19640]" dev="pipefs" ino=19640 scontext=system_u:system_r:qmail_queue_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:system_r:qmail_start_t:s0 tclass=fifo_file
type=AVC msg=audit(1481709881.072:958): avc: denied { read } for pid=3482 comm="qmail-queue" path="pipe:[19641]" dev="pipefs" ino=19641 scontext=system_u:system_r:qmail_queue_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:system_r:qmail_start_t:s0 tclass=fifo_file
type=SYSCALL msg=audit(1481709881.072:958): arch=c000003e syscall=59 success=yes exit=0 a0=409776 a1=60d210 a2=7ffdf3c29998 a3=0 items=0 ppid=715 pid=3482 auid=4294967295 uid=2522 gid=2520 euid=2522 suid=2522 fsuid=2522 egid=31 sgid=31 fsgid=31 tty=(none) ses=4294967295 comm="qmail-queue" exe="/var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue" subj=system_u:system_r:qmail_queue_t:s0 key=(null)
type=AVC msg=audit(1481709881.075:959): avc: denied { read } for pid=3482 comm="qmail-queue" name="group" dev="vda1" ino=3396 scontext=system_u:system_r:qmail_queue_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:eek:bject_r:passwd_file_t:s0 tclass=file

So, in order to get my system up and working again, I set SELinux to "permissive" - and immediately qmail starts to accept incoming connections again.

Apparently the upgrade breaks SElinux config or qmail requires additional permissions or... I don't know.

Is there any reference regarding how the thing is supposed to look like, how I can check that and how to get to where it should be? Is there a tool to re-set selinux to what it should be?
Does any of the Plesk-repair-tools reset selinux?

I found this documentation: https://linux.die.net/man/8/qmail_selinux
But with my very basic undertsnding of SELinux I'm not sure how to check these preconditions or how to adjust.

Also I see that I have almost 200 packets marked as"updates available", but it seems they do include qmail or SELinux, so I'll wait with that until stuff is sorted...?

Thanks for any help!
Southy

That case reffers to a OS upgrade being done before the problem occured.
I had CentOS 7 before already.
I just upgraded Plesk 12.5 -> Onxy.

But however, the suggestion in the thread is:
> Try to reinstall psa-selinux package after OS update.

So that would be:
# setenforce 0
# yum erase selinux\*
# rm -rf /etc/selinux
# yum install selinux-policy-targeted
# touch /.autorelabel
# reboot

Correct?
As I said, my SElinux background is very limited, but: aren't there plesk-specific configurations that might get lost that way?
Shouldn't those specific settings be part of one of the plesk repair scripts?

Honestly, I fear reinstalling might do more harm than good?!?

Yes. You can try at least.
Thanks for the heads-up and it did in fact show:

Restoring SELinux contexts...
Restoring SELinux context on '/usr/local/psa'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/log/psa-horde'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/qmail/alias'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/qmail/bin'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/qmail/boot'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/qmail/control'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/qmail/plugins'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/qmail/popuser'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/qmail/queue'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/qmail/users'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/db/kav'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/db/Quarantine'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/lib/plesk'
Restoring SELinux context on '/usr/libexec/postfix'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/drweb'
Restoring SELinux context on '/opt/drweb'
Restoring SELinux context on '/usr/lib64/plesk-9.0'
Restoring SELinux context on '/etc/nginx'
Restoring SELinux context on '/usr/sbin/nginx'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/lib/nginx'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/log/nginx'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/run/nginx.pid'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/lib/plesk/mail'
Restoring SELinux context on '/opt/kav'
Restoring SELinux context on '/usr/lib64/php/modules'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/run'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/www/vhosts'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/qmail/mailnames'
Restoring SELinux context on '/var/named/chroot'

...but setting SELinux back to "enforcing" still leads to the same result: SMTP won't accept connections.
How can that be? If plesk repair sets the contexts freshly based on its requirements, shouldn't it know what to set where?

The machine was installed ~6 months ago -> before 7.3 was released.
Two days ago I did the Plesk 12.5 -> Onyx upgrade via web frontend.
Today I updated a bunch of system packages.
Currently I have CentOS 7.3.1611 running.

I did never conciously update from 7.x -> 7.3, but as I don't know what actually is the specific characteristic for a small version number change (7.2 -> 7.3) in CentOS, both of these two updates of the last two days might have triggered this.

Looking at the timeline when SMTP broke and SElinux started performing odd, it probably has a connection with the Plesk upgrade (wasn't working _before_ todays packe updates)

I didn't notice that before. So it seems that there has been a CentOS upgrade with the Plesk upgrade. Could that be?
Then: Following your suggestion here shall I try to reinstall selinux? Basically, what could go wrong: I have deactivated it yet already - can't get any worse :)

Back