• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Separate Mail- from Webserver?

Olaf Kapinski

New Pleskian
Hello everyone

I run several WordPresses for my customers, our scope is not to bother them with the underlying technology. Sadly Plesk has a lot of issues like the very complex web interface, the lack of mail-autoconfigure and others.

Due to issues with my Provider I’m forced to change the underlying Servers, where another Limitation kicks in: The lack of Domain-specific mail-certificates. So every Server change requires the users to change their mail-settings: NoGo.

Now I thought about this and want to ask, if someone sees an issue or has experiences with this setup:

The idea is to use one Plesk only for mail and the others for web.

Numbers: I can see 30 Domains being web-served by one Server and 90 Domains being Email-served from one server. So, 90 Domains require 4 Servers (3x Plesk 30-License and one Plesk unlimited). The one Mailserver can easily be scaled up, it’s more a matter of Disk than anything else.

We just Install one particular Domain on the Web-Plesk AND on the Mail-Plesk, DNS does the rest. The Users only log into the Mailservers Web interface and are not disturbed by a ton of menus they can’t do anything in (PHP, Hosting, you name it). Each user is given the same Mail-Config (mail.mydomain.com), we can move the WordPress around, in case of anything.

I’m chewing on this for a while and ask if someone has any thoughts on this idea.

Thanks a lot

OLAF

Back