• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Seperate Mysql server

DigitalCrowd

Basic Pleskian
Hello!

I host a few heavy mysql sites. Although I realize that Plesk doesn't allow you to have folks create databases on other mysql servers, what is the experience people have with using seperate mysql servers, what are the disadvantages?

I suppose a machine that is burdoned with serving numerous hosts, handling DNS, mail and all sorts of other processes, if it is starting to slow down, if we were to spin off two larger databases to a seperate server, would you see a large increase or would it be better to just move that domain and mysql to a different server, as one unit?

Which would people recommend who have done both?

> heavy mysql sites
Could you explain this? i.e. are they hosting a gallery/forum or mapping genoms?

You should probably look into some server tuning first. Stopping and shutting down unused services. Tuning the running applications like mysql, apache, bind, etc. And also disk io, i.e. something like hdparam.

I do think that Plesk should support remote mysql servers from the control panel though, that would be nice and Im sure there are alot of people that want/need it.

You could easily host your seprate database on another server and create a custom button in plesk for each client who needs it... if you heavy mysql sites are that heavy.

-David

It may even help to offload mysql to a second HDD on a single server - it'll reduce I/O strain as you'll have 2 drives performing the work 1 would usually be doing.

Otherwise, yep you'll need to configure it manually via a custom button - should work fine but make sure you have a very fast network connection between physical servers to minimise latency/delay.

Plesk for Windows allows you to offload MySQL so I figure Plesk 8 for UNIX/Linux will too...

Back