• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Server.MapPath()

F

fralolo

ASP's Server.MapPath() doesn't work! it always throws the "default" folder!!!!

This is UN-PROFESSIONAL!
for example, if you do
Server.MapPath("/folder")
in a host called "example.com", you would expect that it returned
C:\inetpub\vhosts\example.com\htdocs\folder
right?
NO!
it gives C:\inetpub\vhosts\default\htdocs\folder!!!!!!!!!
THIS SUCKS!

I'm not going to buy anything else from plesk. EVER.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it true that it works as described above? Thanks.

Yes it is

You can try it yourself. I don't know why plesk decided to manage themselves virtual hosting with "mapping.dll" or sth, but it is a hack that has proved to fail like here.

And so? This link seems don't resolve the problem. Can u be more clear with me? i'm a newbye with ASP.

There's a architectural problem with Plesk 6.5 for windows. This can't be solved without rewriting asp.dll, or at least overriding some functionality.

yes we know this, tnx to your first post.

We r waiting an answer from plesk to this important problem. Because we think that without a correct server.mappath use, a large part of our customers can't run correctly their web applications.
We r very surprises that none of plesk has still answer to this question and this is also the reason because we r waiting to buy Plesk control panel. Plesk is good product, probably the best and the most reliable but we need not only of a good CP for us but also of a CP that our customers can use without rewrite their applications.

Originally posted by fralolo
There's a architectural problem with Plesk 6.5 for windows. This can't be solved without rewriting asp.dll, or at least overriding some functionality.

We have same problem either. It is very weird that Plesk didn't manage to think about this earlier.

We were about to order at least 1 license when we discovered this issue. This is a very serious one since a LOT of applications are using this way to handle files, including Access databases.

By providing no support for Server.MapPath (either for ASP and ASP.NET), Plesk is simply cutting support for at least 50% web applications around. Plus, they're preventing ASP applications to implement any kind of automation. :mad:

Weird. We will monitor Plesk since we are interested in it, but this version will cut support for a widely used function: we can't really explain our users why our blazing new Win2003 servers won't support WinNT ASP pages... :eek:

I hope that this will be corrected soon though implementation via a custom DLL is very hard to change in a nutshell. But my question still is: how did they manage not to know about this earlier?? :confused:

I believe this is linked into the same issue we're having the the _non_ssl thread I started, we're hitting a problem with a widely used ASP content management system now which I believe links into this, I have no idea why Plesk wouldn't have used the functionality already built into IIS rather than rewriting it using a custom DLL.

Want to understand?

Plesk designed Windows Control panel like this:

IP is IIS Website
Your Domain Website is a Virtual Directory of IP's website.

I really did not like this architeture.
I dont think it can be changed by still this version of Plesk.

Luciano Greiner

Ok, we have news from plesk support that this problem will be fixed with Plesk version 7.
I hope that we'll be not disappointed from this new version.

Have a great day
Fabio

Great news, then!
Now, the question is if plesk will require a completely-new fresh reinstall or if it will upgrade a 6.5 installation. If it can upgrade a 6.5 installation, IT'LL BE GREAT

mmmmm... i'm like Sant Thomas :) I need to see before to believe.

No public answer in this forum....
No public announcement about server.mappath problem for the next release.....
No public answer about your last question.....

And i've many questions about... to resolve this problem is required restructure a large part of architectural plesk system or to rewrite asp.dll or what? which type of upgrade will be necessary to install plesk 7 with server.mappath resolved?

I'll wait to see the next version before to think anything.

Have a great day
Fabio

Back